Articles haven't been selling for a while

Not an author yet? Have questions? Post here!

Moderators: Celeste Stewart, Ed, Constant

Lisa-Anne Sanderson

Articles haven't been selling for a while

Post by Lisa-Anne Sanderson »

Hello,

It's about three months since I sold an article here. It's a bit disillusioning!
They used to sell well!

Do you think things are slowing down due to the dreaded 'R" word?

Regards,
Lisa
Celeste Stewart

Post by Celeste Stewart »

Hi Lisa,

Gosh, I haven't seen that. Granted, December seemed slow but January and February picked up from what I can tell by watching the recently sold page.

Seems like we have lots of requests coming in so here's hoping this business is R-proof.
constant-content
Site Admin

Post by constant-content »

December was bad... very bad... Jan and Feb have been pretty decent as sales go, I would say "average".
Ed

Post by Ed »

Lisa-Anne, your articles tend to be on the long side . . . am I correct? Maybe you could try writing a few shorter pieces on a variety of topics. You might find that these sell more easily, and this will boost your sinking morale. Customers who purchase shorter pieces will then be inclined to take a look at your longer pieces.

Ed
Word Gypsy

Post by Word Gypsy »

Hi Lisa,

Quite a few factors come into play here I think. Certain topics have cooled down, buyers are more discriminating with the price they will pay, and some buyers haven't been around in months.

Plus, sales have been spread out among a greater number of writers this year as cc has gained quite a few new authors. The competition ( which I am glad to see on board) has stepped up the pace here, making it more difficult to sell anything unless you have a private request or increase the quantity of articles that you write. I've actually decreased the number of articles that I submit here due to outside gigs, so my sales are way down.

Sometimes, I won't even submit for some of the public requests so the newbies can have at them and get a taste of the glory. It's only fair to share and I remember when I first started here. The sales were fewer and more spread out for lots of authors back then. Getting a sale is motivational, so it's important for everyone here to get them if cc is going to continue to grow.

Plus, there seems to be a trend of buyers purchasing recently submitted work rather than previously submitted stuff...so, maybe they aren't always looking for topics as much as new material and trendy. Maybe they simply browse the newly listed material, who knows? Plus, low-priced usage articles are usually a good draw, filling the needs of buyers with limited capital or enormous need.

I can almost guarantee that any author here who caters to these last two ideas, will improve their sales. Just my thoughts on the topic, so please don't take this for the "truth," "a given," or berate me if I am wrong.

WG
Ed

Post by Ed »

Good points, WG.
Celeste Stewart

Gypsy and Ed bring up some good ideas. I'd add that writing to the current requests generally helps.

Just glancing at your list of articles, they seem to appeal to a "niche" audience. When we get a new customer seeking your topics, you'll be set!

In the meantime, I'd consider writing a few short but sweet articles that have broader appeal. For example, maybe instead of an in-depth piece on the history of a type of perfume, try something like "Making Sense of the Scents" (what is eau de toilet, Cologne, etc) or "How to Pick a Fabulous Perfume for any Occasion." Just some ideas that might spark some inspiration.

Good luck! We have a brand new month ahead of us, I'm betting it will be a good one!
Lisa-Anne Sanderson

Thank you

Thank you very much for all of your help, everyone. They're all great ideas. I might do some shorter articles for a while and try that!

Best,
Lisa
Celeste Stewart

Lisa, why not check out the Vegas request, he's open to suggestions. You might suggest writing about the shopping scene - where to get the best deals on fashion/perfume etc during a Vegas getaway or high fashion for high rollers. He seems to be buying articles and something like that might appeal...? Maybe there's a fashion museum or gallery to highlight. Just an idea where your niche might fit in nicely.
Lisa-Anne Sanderson

Vegas

Hi Celeste,

I can't really answer many of the American requests because I haven't been there for thirty years! It's a pity because many requests are very specific.
I wish that I could.

Best Regards,
Lisa