Technical/format question or possibly just a silly question

Not an author yet? Have questions? Post here!

Moderators: Celeste Stewart, Ed, Constant

cbhrbooth

Technical/format question or possibly just a silly question

Post by cbhrbooth »

Hello -- I'd like to submit a private request article that has a lot of links in it. I need the links to have descriptive labels (tags) on them so I was moving the document from .rft into my browser composer. I noticed on Ed's blog page on Accepted File Types that .html is an option if the coding is turned off.

So, can I do that without stripping the codes off the links? I know I can't save the article as .html in my word processor.

I'm so confused . . .
Mary
Ed

Post by Ed »

Mary, if your customer needs you to do things a certain way, it's okay. We just don't want authors to submit this way generally - it makes for a poor customer experience.

Thanks,
Ed
Celeste Stewart

Post by Celeste Stewart »

So, you want the links to say something like "blah blah blah" rather than the showing the actual URL address ala "http://www.blah.com" - right?

You can do this in MS Word. Just type in the plain text you want the link to display, highlight it, and then hit Control + K. This opens the Hyperlink dialog box. Now, simply type the URL in the appropriate box and click OK. It works like a charm.
cbhrbooth

Thanks

Post by cbhrbooth »

Thanks Ed. I'll submit the article this afternoon.

Celeste - I appreciate your Ctrl-K trick. Unfortunately, I'm dealing with the half-wit cousin of MS Word and it wouldn't work. Tomorrow, I'm starting research on my new laptop. I've been making do for so long that I've forgotten what "works like a charm" feels like. Thanks for the tip though.

Mary