The Brainstorming Thread: Help Spread the Word

A place where authors can exchange ideas or thoughts. Talk about what categories are hot and which ones are not.

Moderators: Celeste Stewart, Ed

Keesa

The Brainstorming Thread: Help Spread the Word

Post by Keesa »

Someone asked in another thread earlier how they could publicize their work on CC. (I can't find the thread, or I'd post there. :roll: ) It's a really good question. Obviously, any customers we as the authors bring to CC help us. I was curious about what sort of promotion CC does and also what we can do as authors to help spread the word.

Thoughts? Ideas? Brilliant marketing ploys? Let's brainstorm!
catnipp333

Post by catnipp333 »

I like the affiliate link we can use to get other authors, but would really like it if we could use it as a link for buyers also. I have brought this up several times, but I dont think it will happen. IF we could do this then we could put this "link" ALL over our professional sites, personal sites, other forums, on newsletters, email, on our resumes... and it would not matter if we attracted more authors OR buyers. I think we could really spread the word this way, but this is just my two cents! :wink:

Catnipp333
Keesa

Post by Keesa »

I also think that would be a wonderful idea, catnipp, but of course that's for CC to implement. [Constant, if you get a chance (I know you're busy!!), could you look into combining author and customer referrals into one easy link with one easy referral fee?]

In the thread-I-can't-find, someone mentioned our author pages link; including that link with professional emails and newsletters is another good tip that might help.
catnipp333

Post by catnipp333 »

Keesa
GLAD you agree. The thread you speak of (the author link part of it) was mentioned by Celeste. I am sure she will be in soon to let you know about it.
Later,
Catnipp333
Celeste Stewart

Post by Celeste Stewart »

Good morning!

The author's link is the link that shows all of your currently available articles and stats. You can find the link by either going into the Authors section and clicking on your name in the list. For those who aren't yet listed, they can find one of their articles on the site and click their name. Then copy and paste the address that shows in the address bar of their browser. You can use this link on blogs, websites, etc to point people to your list of articles.

Craigslist.org is a good spot to list services for sale. It's free and people use it like crazy. A couple weeks ago I posted a little ad offering freelance writing and got a nibble right away. It's regional so if I posted an ad in southern California people from LA, San Diego, etc would find my ad. So what if each of us posted a free ad in our respective areas? We might reach a few potential customers... maybe use existing ad copy that CC currently has.

But.... if I'm going to post ads to get additional writing work, I'd prefer to get the work directly with the customer if you know what I mean. It wouldn't make sense to market myself and then direct customers to use me through CC where I'd have to turn over 35%. I don't mind the 35% when CC does the marketing. So I don't know. Maybe promote ourselves primarily and then include a little about CC as a secondary thing?
Keesa

Post by Keesa »

Mmm, I agree with your reservations there, Celeste. Including a mention of CC seems like the best way to "have your cake and eat it, too"--primarily promote yourself directly, but mention that you have more work available on CC, if they're interested.

Something else I thought of; some of the newsletters/ezines I subscribe to allow you to include more than one link when they publish one of your articles. (And I am talking about paying magazines, not free-content sites where the links are the only benefits you get.) Of course you would promote your own website first, if you have one, but if they allow more than one link, or if you don't have your own website, why not include your author page?