Pricing Suggestions?

A place where authors can exchange ideas or thoughts. Talk about what categories are hot and which ones are not.

Moderators: Celeste Stewart, Ed

cbhrbooth

Pricing Suggestions?

Post by cbhrbooth »

Hello! I've been off the forum boards for several months, but have recently returned as I've tried to consider what to do with this side of my writing.

Yesterday, a CC customer asked me to do a project, and one that has potential for long-term relationship, but also asked that I include the price tag. Since whatever price we negotiate will end up being the price for any other projects, I'm trying to understand exactly what would be a fair price.

For this project, the writing skill is actually secondary to organization and subject expertise. Using the $/per word formula doesn't seem be correct since the writing would consist of link summaries that are not necessarily structured in the typical article format. I considered the $/per hour formula, but since I've not done a project like this I don't know how long it will take, and I'm antsy about estimating the needed time. What I would bring, hopefully, to the project is clarity, organizational insight, and expertise, and these skills seem to suggest a different payment formula.

Or perhaps I'm just overthinking this. . . it wouldn't be the first time.

Do you think I should stick to the $/per word formula or $/per estimated hour or try something else? How would you approach this?
Mary
Cyndy Hardy

Post by Cyndy Hardy »

In my opinion, you shouldn't commit yourself to a fixed price for all future projects when there are so many variables.

Sometimes buyers hold "long term" projects in front of us like a carrot. That's okay if both parties benefit but, more often, buyers get the message that it is okay to expect too much for too little. New writers can spend way too much time on projects that pay next to nothing when there are more lucrative opportunities available.

Have clear, reasonable boundaries for your worth as a writer. Offer to do a couple of projects for him at a price you can live with even if they don't pencil out. If the buyer is not willing to renegotiate if you discover the fee/project doesn't fit -- be prepared to walk away.

Diversify your markets so that you don't depend on one type of buyer. You can write for businesses in your area, the newspaper, alternative papers, magazines, nonprofit groups, homeowners associations, book clubs, etc.
Celeste Stewart

Post by Celeste Stewart »

I'd do it per project with ranges. For example, if the finished project is only 100 words but it takes you two hours to do the research required for those 100 words, you'll want to be compensated at a higher rate than if you could just write up a quick summary based on existing knowledge.

Like if he wanted you to download software, experiement with it, and then write a 200-word review, you'd probably want to charge $XX. Whereas, if he wanted you to write a 200-word general overview of the software, you might want to charge by the word. So, I'd give him quotes for different types of services such as $XX for downloading, using, and reviewing software and $.X per word for general writing.

Hard to say exactly what I'd charge not knowing the specifics though. good luck!
cbhrbooth

thank you

Post by cbhrbooth »

Thank you Cyndy and Celeste for your thoughtful replies. Since posting, I have been leaning toward proposing a project price range, so it's nice to see this idea confirmed. Celeste you made an excellent point about research time, since that will be the unknown factor in my case.

Cyndy, your advice is sound, and I appreciate the reminders, especially about knowing my worth as a writer. I need that taped to my keyboard whenever money is mentioned! I'm fortunately at a place where I can choose my projects, and can be somewhat picky about what I take on. I get most of my freelance writing income from print sources and find myself on "softer" ground when I deal with online work. I want to confidently give a fair price for me as well as the customer. (Also, it helps me avoid spinal problems when I need to walk away from a deal.) :wink:

CC really does have a generous writing community, and I appreciate you extending your time and expertise to me . . .
Mary
Celeste Stewart

Post by Celeste Stewart »

And don't feel that you're locked in on a price for future work. I've had customers who have certain "locked" rates but are willing to pay more when the job is more complex. For example, one customer wanted me to post the articles to his website for him via a website content management software system he had created which involved a great deal of cutting and pasting.

Not difficult but time consuming when you considered how many articles we were dealing with. Either way, he'd have to pay someone to do it. I ran a test and calculated how much time it would take and we worked out an additional fee. I got paid the same regular rate for writing and then a couple hundred dollars on top for uploading.

Another customer has several different rates and they flucuate based on the project. It just depends.