Sales Strategy and SEO

A place where authors can exchange ideas or thoughts. Talk about what categories are hot and which ones are not.

Moderators: Celeste Stewart, Ed

jakedanger

Sales Strategy and SEO

Post by jakedanger »

My sales strategy is to write for humans to read, not computers. As a consequence, I more or less ignore keyword density and SEO friendliness. I have noticed that customers are consistently buying my articles, but for usage rather than full rights. I am wondering if there is a connection there. I am also wondering how big the market is for non-SEO articles. I am guessing that some customers will want to buy articles that appeal exclusively to visitors already on their site - to get them to bookmark the site, to get repeat visitors, to popularize the site through word-of-mouth advertising, to sell products offered on the site, etc. Any thoughts on this?
Lysis

Re: Sales Strategy and SEO

Post by Lysis »

If customers are buying usage over full rights, I'd evaluate your pricing structure. I price documents at $10 more for full rights, so I think that's reasonable for the difference in copyright but affordable enough for unique content.

I write with SEO in mind, but that's only because all of my writing experience is online. I know there's a huge gap between online content writers and print standards. I've only been writing online for a year, but I've been lucky enough to befriend some awesome writers. They've taught me so much, and one thing they've pointed out is the difference between the two types.

SEO writing is mostly for people trying to improve rank. I doubt people like amazon.com and microsoft.com and all those other big guns worry about it. So, I think there is a market for both types.
Nell

Post by Nell »

Just ran across an interesting video tutorial on content - why unique content is important, how site owners obtain it etc.

It explains three types of content:
- editorial (human-written - Constent-Content articles would fit into this category).
- machine generated
- user-generated

Though the info is presented mostly from the viewpoint of the site owner, it's an interesting piece to give us writers a little bit of context.

It's here: http://www.seomoz.org/blog/whiteboard-f ... ue-content

Cheers!

Violet Nesdoly (aka Nell)
Debbi

Post by Debbi »

Nell,

Great video! Thanks for sharing it.

Are you going to write an article about it? "What Every Webmaster Should Know About Unique Content--And Where to Find It" -- or some such. You could offer CC as an example for the Editorial avenue :lol:

Debbi