July 2009 Challenge: Alternative Angles - Who's In?

A place where authors can exchange ideas or thoughts. Talk about what categories are hot and which ones are not.

Moderators: Celeste Stewart, Ed

Celeste Stewart

July 2009 Challenge: Alternative Angles - Who's In?

Post by Celeste Stewart »

Okay, it's a new month. Last month we floated two ideas and decided to postpone this one for July. Here we are - it's July! It's time to explore alternative angles. Here's the concept from the original post:

An article on "Benefits of Yoga" might discuss strength training, flexibility, breathing, spirtual connections, clearing the mind, etc, right? So, if a requester asks for such an article, most of us would cover these more obvious benefits. What if you were to write two articles: one covering the benefits (so that you fulfill the customer's request) and another exploring a different angle or a more specific focus? Perhaps an article on "Benefits of Yoga for the Elderly" or "Prenatal Yoga." Okay, still a little on the benefits side, but still different enough to allow your article to stand out from the crowd. What about "Common Yoga Injuries," "Yoga Extremists," or an article answering questions such as "Do I have to become a vegetarian if I practice yoga?" While these different articles might not be what the customer had in mind, they could be of interest. If nothing else, you'll have a set of unique articles that go beyond the run-of-the-mill and will likely eventually find a home.

The challenge this month is to pick a request (or two or three) and write two articles: One fulfilling the request; the other exploring an alternative angle. Keep in mind that these alternative articles might not be appropriate for the original requester. Use the request as a launching pad for creativity. For example, if the original request is for "Healthy Dog Treats" and you write an alternative article about "The Healthy Dog Treat Rip-Off Machine," it's a pretty safe bet that the original requester isn't going to want that second article (though someone else might). Use your discretion as far as approaching customers with alternative articles. The idea is more for us to look at articles from unique angles, not necessarily change the requester's mind about what he wants. If the alternative angle is appropriate, great! Go ahead and pitch it. But if it's not right for the request, submit it to the general public.

If you don't want to take a request as an example but still want to explore different angles, take a topic of your own choosing instead. Do you want to write about "Safe Investments in a Down Economy"? Go ahead. Then, when you're done, write about "Risky Investments that Paid Off Big Time in the 1930s" or "The Most Foolish Investments Ever." Want to write about growing beautiful roses? Do it. Then, write about removing unwanted rose bushes and how to kill them once and for all.

Have fun with this one!
Antonia

Re: July 2009 Challenge: Alternative Angles - Who's In?

Post by Antonia »

Love this idea! Can feel the creative juices starting to flow. I'm in!
misstamla

Post by misstamla »

I like this idea, too. Count me in!

Kathy
eek

Post by eek »

Me too. And let's try to post what we came up with, once submitted. Creativity sparks creativity.
emma
CaroBeth

Post by CaroBeth »

This sounds interesting. I'm in!
Celeste Stewart

Anyone mix it up yet this month? I did one article that was supposed to be a different viewpoint on Twitter but it ended up being a "helpful tips" type of article after all. What a lame attempt at mixing it up. Oh well, at least I tried and the title was kind of cool. With vacation and life-after-vacation, I haven't had much of a chance to play around. Anyone else try a different approach? Maybe by monthend I'll turn a topic inside out for real. But August is rapidly approaching. . . so I may have to live vicariously through your articles.
Celeste Stewart

Yay Emma! Just saw your 5 Tips for Higher Auto Insurance Premiums article. Good twist :)
Celeste Stewart

Finally motivated. I think I'll do two articles: The Frugal Beauty and The Pampered Beauty. Frugal, money-saving beauty tips for one article and must-have beauty items - regardless of the price - for the other article. We'll see. Time's a tickin for July, so no promises that these'll be done by Friday. No worries though; the point is to keep pushing ourselves to try different things and the deadline is flexible so long as we eventually get push ourselves. Plus, I may need to spend a few days at the local spa doing some research. . .
eek

Post by eek »

Oooh - those sound like fun topics for research, Celeste! :lol:

Thanks for noticing the insurance article. I'm deeply ashamed to say that I wasn't thinking of this challenge when I came up with that one! But I have an idea for a twist on a public request that came in on assisted living, having to do with necessary or possible home improvements. The month is slipping away, and I am almost certain I won't get that one in by the 31st, but at least I thought of it!

Actually, Celeste, you've come up with quite a few interesting angles on Twitter, whether it was this month or before I can't recall.
And Antonia, I liked the angle you came up with for your article about alienating your kids. It made me want to click to read it, and ever since I've been catching myself violating one of your points, repeatedly, especially with a 12-year old daughter who loves to blurt out unnecessary truths. (You maybe should have put something in there about not wringing their necks.)

As Celeste mentioned, this challenge doesn't have to end, but I'd love to hear feedback from carobeth & misstamla and what they might have come up with - I'd go look but I'm rushing out now to pick up said daughter and siblings.
emma
Antonia

Post by Antonia »

Hey Emma, I have to admit I wasn't thinking of the challenge either when I wrote my "angle" on alienating kids...unless it was subconscious :) I also have to admit I don't even have kids yet...(got married 6 months ago, we're planning a wee one in a year or so)...I love reading about child psychology and communication strategies in general, plus I was lucky to have a mom who made all those mistakes with me...so it was kinda cathartic. Wow, I never thought I'd feel grateful for my mom's mistakes.

Looking forward to reading your Pampered Beauty, Celeste....so sorry you have to do all that grueling research! :)
eek

Post by eek »

You expressed yourself very well, Antonia. I guessed it was written from some sort of personal experience - parent, teacher, daughter - it doesn't really matter. Isn't it nice that we can turn our experiences - even negative, or seemingly insignificant ones - into something worthwhile? You're a good writer, and I'm sure you'll be a fantastic mother. (You may have even more cathartic experiences when your daughter turns 12. Or 9. It's a roller coaster ride, but I'm still in my seat.)
Celeste Stewart

Yay Emma, saw the "how to raise your insurance rates" article just sold :) Nice!
eek

Post by eek »

Thank you, Celeste! I was taking a break when that happened. These monthly challenges do seem to have more than one benefit.
Zabrina

Post by Zabrina »

I really liked the idea of this challenge, and I ended up creating some titles that I think will do well, based on alternative angles of popular themes. Now I just have to go ahead and write them... but thanks in advance for this awesome challenge, or I wouldn't have come up with the ideas at all! :)