Best offers: when to accept, counteroffers?

A place where authors can exchange ideas or thoughts. Talk about what categories are hot and which ones are not.

Moderators: Celeste Stewart, Ed

darcylogan

Best offers: when to accept, counteroffers?

Post by darcylogan »

Okay, I'm struggling with some offers I have been receiving. I'm curious at what other writers are doing in regards to them? How much lower than your offered price are you willing to go?

Also, I've seen mention on other threads about writers making counter-offers, but have never seen anyone explain how it is done. Anyone know?

Thanks,
Darcy
Keesa

Post by Keesa »

I usually determine in my head just how low I'm willing to go. If the amount offered is lower than that, I don't take it.

As far as counteroffers go, there is no method set up for those right now. Some writers, myself included, will use the Q&A section to make a counteroffer if the article was posted in response to a public request. Other than that, all you can do is rejected the low offer and hope they come back with a higher one. But don't lower your standards. If the price they quote is simply ridiculous, then don't take it.
darcylogan

Post by darcylogan »

Thanks Keesa!

Yeah, I've seem to attract a buyer who seems insistent on offering extremely low ball offers ($15-20 for full rights on articles that I priced at $70-$100). Those are easy to refuse. Others, I debate on because they are usually a tad lower than I want to go, but I hate to lose the sale.

Darcy
Keesa

Post by Keesa »

Ooh, I know those kinds. It usually depends on how popular the subject is, how confident I am in this article, and how close I am to meeting my monthly budget. 8)
cbhrbooth

other options

Post by cbhrbooth »

Another way to counter is to offer to sell the $100 article for a lower amount with different rights or ask if you can write a similar article with fewer words (100-150) on the same topic for the customer's lower price.

When the lower offer is close to the asking price, I consider how likely I am to have repeat sales with the customer. I've also asked customers to consider buying a similar article along with the first article.
Everything negotiable!
Mary
darcylogan

Post by darcylogan »

Another way to counter is to offer to sell the $100 article for a lower amount with different rights or ask if you can write a similar article with fewer words (100-150) on the same topic for the customer's lower price.
How?

I guess that was what I was asking. How do you contact a potential buyer that has made an offer on your article that is not a response to a request.

Darcy
cbhrbooth

negotiation

Post by cbhrbooth »

I've only used the Q&A for negotiation, but I'd think you could use private messages. I've gone back and forth negotiating price or articles through Q&A. Sometimes the customer responds favorably, other times the message was ignored.

When you use the Best Offer, can't you respond to the Offer through email or private messages? (I haven't used Best Offer so don't know through personal experience.)

Mary
Keesa

Post by Keesa »

Isn't private messaging disabled on these forums? The only way I've ever been able to contact a requester is if they posted a public request; then I can use the Q&A section.

Has CC considered changing that, to allow for more dialogue with potential customers?