Informal Tone?

Not an author yet? Have questions? Post here!

Moderators: Celeste Stewart, Ed, Constant

CieleEdward

Informal Tone?

Post by CieleEdward »

I've been writing here for several years, but the writing I've done has always been very formal. While this works just fine on websites whose aim is to inform, it doesn't translate so well to blog posts. I would like to attempt some less formal pieces that incorporate humor and a more conversation tone to make them more appealing to bloggers. Does CC allow this or is it considered inappropriate for the buyers they're trying to attract? Some of the more recent topics I've chosen sound very strange when they're being written in a stuffy, formal voice. How much leeway do I have for this sort of thing? I'm hoping someone can cast some insight on this and maybe even refer me to examples that demonstrate just how informal I can be without having my work kicked back to me. Thanks.
ReneeF

Re: Informal Tone?

Post by ReneeF »

CieleEdward wrote:I've been writing here for several years, but the writing I've done has always been very formal. While this works just fine on websites whose aim is to inform, it doesn't translate so well to blog posts. I would like to attempt some less formal pieces that incorporate humor and a more conversation tone to make them more appealing to bloggers. Does CC allow this or is it considered inappropriate for the buyers they're trying to attract? Some of the more recent topics I've chosen sound very strange when they're being written in a stuffy, formal voice. How much leeway do I have for this sort of thing? I'm hoping someone can cast some insight on this and maybe even refer me to examples that demonstrate just how informal I can be without having my work kicked back to me. Thanks.
bloggers and informal pieces are not CC's target market. they aim for high-end clients. Sadly, I'd do cheap blog peices if they had a section for it.
CieleEdward

Post by CieleEdward »

I remember years ago there was an option to categorize your piece as a blog piece. Maybe its still there and I just don't remember how to check.
PaulMaplesden

Post by PaulMaplesden »

I'm not sure if its what you want, but there's a 'Blog Entries' category as a sub of the 'General' category.
CieleEdward

Post by CieleEdward »

PaulMaplesden wrote:I'm not sure if its what you want, but there's a 'Blog Entries' category as a sub of the 'General' category.
Yes! That's exactly what I meant. I guess what I'm wondering is that if you select the "Blog entries" option if you can be a bit more informal with your work and make the sort of slightly humorous, clever articles that you see populating, say, The New Yorker.

Actually, come to think of it, does anyone know if the requirements for this section are different in any way? I hardly know anything about the Blog Entries section at all.
PaulMaplesden

Post by PaulMaplesden »

CieleEdward wrote:
PaulMaplesden wrote:I'm not sure if its what you want, but there's a 'Blog Entries' category as a sub of the 'General' category.
Yes! That's exactly what I meant. I guess what I'm wondering is that if you select the "Blog entries" option if you can be a bit more informal with your work and make the sort of slightly humorous, clever articles that you see populating, say, The New Yorker.

Actually, come to think of it, does anyone know if the requirements for this section are different in any way? I hardly know anything about the Blog Entries section at all.
If I may be so bold, I would just try writing a slightly more informal article and submitting it there. You could then include a note to the editor in the short summary asking if its OK and then just remove the note when the piece gets approved.