Data Analysis - Chances of Selling & How Much You Can Make

Not an author yet? Have questions? Post here!

Moderators: Celeste Stewart, Ed, Constant

remoteriverman

Re: Data Analysis - Chances of Selling & How Much You Can Ma

Post by remoteriverman »

Thanks for the heads-up, Laura. It was fun while it lasted....

Kevin Casey
LauraGinn

Post by LauraGinn »

I'm sure if any other clients arrive at CC wanting mobile, broadband, energy and credit card articles they'll be happy. I personally have around 20 articles just on Economy 7 hanging around in the gallery :)
remoteriverman

Post by remoteriverman »

Laura -

Yes, I seem to remember writing 10 articles on carbon monoxide poisoning and smoke detectors for this guy (and netting $325 for a day and a half's work). And thanks to this client, I now know more about energy-saving light bulbs and home insurance than I ever cared to... :)

Cheers,
Kevin Casey
Lysis

Post by Lysis »

Ouch. He's gonna have a rough time cleaning that up.

I wrote for a really big tech company for about 2 years and they were doing the same thing. They bailed on their system around August last year. It sucked so bad. They used to show up #1 or #2 and I just looked and they are at the bottom of page 1. I've noticed that HowStuffWorks has made a recovery lately on a lot of high traffic terms.
LauraGinn

Post by LauraGinn »

I think guest posting works, within reason. When you're posting hundreds of posts each month, it's pretty obvious to Google that you're trying to spam the system. A mixture of no-follow and do-follow links, plus co-citations is vital. SEO companies are finding ways around it but I'm sure most of them have much smaller budgets so can't afford to post in such high numbers.
Lysis

Post by Lysis »

SEOs are lame. I'm pretty sure you have to fail college to be an SEO. Any time you manually start posting backlinks, you're playing with fire.

Sucks as the writer though, because I made good money even though you kinda know that what they are doing will catch up to them sooner or later. Same with DMS. That was a nice gold mine of work while it lasted, but you knew sooner or later it was going to die.

I didn't even realize what they were doing until I did a search on my content and I found it all over the Internet on blog sites. When they shut down the system, they said they were afraid of Panda and I LOL'd cuz it's not Panda that was going to get them. It was Penguin.

I just lost a gig for another company that was posting at least 100 posts a day in content. They kept it on their site, which was cool but same deal. They shut down the system and claimed to be afraid of Panda. But, I mean, come on you're spamming your site with content. I really wish they would have let me keep like 5 writers and just posted maybe 5-10 high quality posts each week. That would have been far better than the high volume stuff we were doing.

Oh well, back to work.