newbie question regarding articles based on blog posts

Not an author yet? Have questions? Post here!

Moderators: Celeste Stewart, Ed, Constant

AThompson

newbie question regarding articles based on blog posts

Post by AThompson »

Hello from another newbie!

I have searched the boards, but if this question has been answered, I've missed it. I do apologize if that's the case.

I have a couple of blogs and I occasionally rant about topics that interest or enrage me. These are my own, original blog posts.

Does the CC site allow me to take one of those blog topics and expand on it, research it in more detail, and submit it as a fully-fleshed article? Would it be better to simply submit the blog post AS a blog post for usage, and write a separate article on a similar or related subject?

Thanks for your wisdom,
AThompson
Elizabeth Ann West

Post by Elizabeth Ann West »

It really depends. In terms of taking an original blog post and rewriting, the rewrite would need to be so extensive that a program like Copyscape wouldn't pick up the original if it is published online elsewhere. If you still have the rights to your blogs, you can post them here with no changes for a Use license, but not a unique or full rights license, if they are published or posted elsewhere online or in any print publication (even your own website).

When you submit the blog, make sure you stipulate so in the submittal. Blog posts can be more casual writing, but still need to have correct grammar, spelling, and logical organization. An article, on the other hand, would be more factual, no opinion (I think...), and also comply with the writing guidelines.

I would say if you were passionate enough about a subject to write a blog on it, doing more research and actually writing an article on it would probably be a great first start. I would highly reccommend though using the original blog as perhaps an outline, or "prewriting", but write the new article from scratch to prevent any confusion over licensing, if you do indeed wish to sell it for unique or full rights licensing.

At any rate, only submit three articles at first before submitting a whole slew of them. Be sure to read the writing guidelines before you start writing, and again after before you submit your final work. Also, there will probably be a bit of a delay right now for approval, but that is a fluke thing because our editor has been sick with the flu.

Hope that helps, and welcome to C-C. It's alot of fun here, and everyone is more than happy to help newbies!
AThompson

Post by AThompson »

Thank you so much! Just the info I was hoping for.

You hit the nail on the head by mentioning the blog post as an "outline" or "prewrite". That's basically what I was thinking.

I'm trying to read as much of the forums as possible and basically do a lot of lurking before I jump in. I don't want an oversight on my part to be misconstrued as slovenliness and get me rejected!

This sight seems to be very friendly, yet undeniably professional. Exactly the sort of place I wish to be a part of.

Thank you again,
AThompson
Elizabeth Ann West

Post by Elizabeth Ann West »

It's absolutely no problem, my pleasure! I am the Queen of "toe-tipping" when it comes to my writing, much I think to the frustration of the awesome Celeste. :)

When I first started, only 4 months ago, I simply submitted one article. It took me a whole week to work up the gumption to submit it, don't ask how many rewrites it went through... It was approved, so I wrote another. Then, I tried to answer a few public requests. A few of those sold, and I have moved on and on.

If you still are a little nervous, visit your local library. The 811 non-fiction section has tons of books on article writing, free lance writing, and the ever important Writer's Market.

Just keep making monthly and weekly goals (even if they are just to educate yourself about the facets of writing from home). It's the best way I have found to stay motivated.

Always Smiling,
Elizabeth West

P.S. Welcome to Constant-Content. I think the biggest difference you will find here is that we are all genuinely interested in each other's successes.