'Advertising' my work

Not an author yet? Have questions? Post here!

Moderators: Celeste Stewart, Ed, Constant

Jackie Hatton

'Advertising' my work

Post by Jackie Hatton »

Hi
I have looked through some of the recent posts on rights, and also the authors' guidelines.

I have only written six articles for Constant Content, but have managed to sell some! :) Okay, bear with me, I'm new to writing and love it. I can't believe someone paid me for my writing.

I would like to 'advertise' my portfolio of writing on my business website (business-to-business services) with a view to doing more article writing and possibly copywriting. All my sales have been full rights. One I know has kept my byline. Can I use excerpts of my own articles to display my portfolio on my site? Not the whole article, just a sample - in the same way we present a third when we submit an article.

Would this be appropriate if I have sold full rights to them?

Many thanks, Jackie
Ed

Post by Ed »

Probably better to post a link to where they're located.

Ed
Celeste Stewart

Post by Celeste Stewart »

Hi,
Congratulations on your successes!

I don't think you can post portions of your articles because it could show up as duplicate content on Google and other search engines which could end up hurting your customer's ranking (not good). For that reason alone, I wouldn't do it.

You could probably link to the site that has your byline though.

One idea might be to place a link to your author profile here on CC. Here they can see what you have currently available and get a good idea of your writing style. Who knows, they may even buy some of your articles.
Jackie Hatton

Post by Jackie Hatton »

Ed/Celeste

Thank you for the quick response!

I was thinking of the hyperlinks - which I will do, keeping track of them in case they move.

I hadn't thought of the link to my author profile. Great idea and like you say, they may see something they like. Better start writing some more articles!

Kind regards, Jackie
constant-content
Site Admin

Post by constant-content »

yes, do not use parts of the article... once you do this the licenses is broke. Its best just to link the the articles.
Jackie Hatton

Post by Jackie Hatton »

Many thanks. Jackie