Leap Day

A place where authors can exchange ideas or thoughts. Talk about what categories are hot and which ones are not.

Moderators: Celeste Stewart, Ed

Celeste Stewart

Leap Day

Post by Celeste Stewart »

Friday is "Leap Day" -- what do you plan on doing? I see it as a bonus day and hope to spend my time making leaps toward some of my other goals like writing for myself and taking risks (see Ed's New Year's Resolutions if you're short on goals).

So, hopefully on Friday you guys won't hear a peep coming from my neck of the woods. I'll be finishing my novel (I swear, I'm sooooo close) and submitting queries to agents on my other long-neglected one.
CRDonovan

Post by CRDonovan »

[quote]so, hopefully on Friday you guys won't hear a peep coming from my neck of the woods.[/quote]

Yeah, we'll just see the private requests getting racked up in the recently sold column that you've already submitted - ; )

Yeah, extra day sounds good. Too bad I'm behind in everything. But what I hope to do is spend some extra time with my son. He's on vacation this week, so maybe an extra day on the slopes - we're getting another foot and a half of snow right now so it should be terrific skiing and boarding. You can never get enough time just hanging out with your kid, I find.
Celeste Stewart

I'd take a good ski trip with my kids over writing any day! (Though I love both). Enjoy!
J. A. Young

Post by J. A. Young »

On leap day I will be going into my ninth month of pregnancy and pining for my husband on that day who was hired by the band Survivor to rock out Eye of Tiger somewhere in Texas (yes, I still love and forgive him...) and trying to keep all signs of labor at bay...

I have a half dozen or so ideas for writing projects I'd like to tackle during my maternity leave...and Leap Day is as good a day as any to get rolling...

I have begun to believe that Celeste is Super Woman--writing all she does with children...I still don't know how she does it!!! And a novel! Inspiring! I need to drink whatever she's drinking...

JA
Celeste Stewart

Coors Light but you'll have to wait until the baby's born... :)

It's not easy that's for sure! Now that my little guy has given up his afternoon nap I'm finding it harder and harder. Sleep? What's that?
mskatmoon

huge day

Post by mskatmoon »

I'll be starting a huge writing project that will take up the next two weeks of my time. It's crazy really. But it's something that has to be done. Luckily, my husband will be off for week one of the project and I maybe can get some work done without the distracting kids around.

I have a feeling though I will need a rest afterward. So I am thinking I might buy something for myself when it's all over with. So I guess I will be "leaping" onto perhaps a chance at some more money and great PR hopefully...

Katina
J. A. Young

Post by J. A. Young »

Coors Light...well I'll be gosh-darned. No wonder this weak ginger ale is getting me no where. Yes, I'll have to wait, but I see no harm in stocking up now...

JA
CRDonovan

Post by CRDonovan »

[quote]It's not easy that's for sure! Now that my little guy has given up his afternoon nap I'm finding it harder and harder.[/quote]

My poor kid was forced to have naps until he started kindergarten - so I could work on my novel.

"But, mom, I'm not tired!"

Me, with sudden facial twitch: "You've GOT to nap!"

Actually it wasn't so bad. We'd have a cozy story time, and then he'd dutifully nod off. And I'd get to work on the never ending writing project.
Elizabeth Ann West

Post by Elizabeth Ann West »

When my step-son was 5, the summer before kindergarden, we had a stipulated quiet time right after lunch for 30-45 minutes. After lunch, he had to read or play quietly in his room, or lay down, and if he fell asleep I would let him sleep for about an hour and half. On the odd days he didn't sleep, it still helped him because he had some down time from the TV, outside, and computer.

Without it, we had 5 year-old melt down at about 7:30 PM and it almost always ended up with him in trouble for either mouthing off or refusing to follow the standard rules (like no banging the love seat into the wall). It wasn't his fault really, kids need down time. He would get up at 7:30 AM on the dot, and 12 hours of straight go, go , GO is hard on anyone.

It also helped step mom not be so crabby in the evenings either, because she had 30-45 minutes to read the news, do the bills, or just watch a decorating show on HGTV without the constant "Play with me" "What's this?" or "Can I...." interruptions. :)
Ed

Post by Ed »

I, personally, am in favor of quiet time for all individuals. Some people just need to shut up for a a half and hour or an hour each day. ;)
Cyndy Hardy

Post by Cyndy Hardy »

I've been so busy I forgot all about leap day. :? Thanks for the reminder.

It ought to be a mandatory world holiday every four years -- no work, no war, no responsibility. *sigh*

Unfortunately, life goes on, huh?