Rejection of Caring For the Chinchilla - Helpful Tips and Ad

Area for content rejection questions.

Moderators: Celeste Stewart, Ed, Constant

RLBaxter

Rejection of Caring For the Chinchilla - Helpful Tips and Ad

Post by RLBaxter »

First, after writing this article I had is read by my friend who has a degree in English and edits all my work before posting. They found no grammar or clarity issues. After my first posting the article was rejected for grammar and clarity issues, the example given was that a Chinchilla singular should be referred to as it. After removing several of the instances of Chinchilla I had my friend re-read the article. Again they found no grammar issues, but suggested to write Chinchilla's instead of Chinchillas. Even though they knew this wasn't correct they could only find this as the possible reason for the rejection. So I re-submitted, then the second rejection told me to remove the apostrophe and correct grammar again. So I removed the apostrophe, but there are no other grammar errors that could by found by me, my editor or grammar correcting software. So I submitted a third time and was rejected yet again for not be adequately revised, despite making the requested corrections each time and having no visible grammar errors. So can you please point out exactly what is wrong since two people and a computer aren't finding the issues you are. Thanks.
Ed

Post by Ed »

Your article was rejected 3 times today, and the final rejection gave you very specific instructions about how to fix your article It even cited examples for you to refer to, as well as resources to help you. Then you were asked to take your time and revise your article, yet it was resubmitted only a short time after being rejected.

Unfortunately, your article contains problems with plural-singular agreement, syntax problems, and other problems with clarity.

I'm sorry, but we can not review this article again.

Ed
RLBaxter

Post by RLBaxter »

Please see below for a copy of the third email I received - note there is no specific information. None of the three emails cited examples except for the one that said to change Chinchilla to an it. But thank you for your help and I think I'll work with other websites from now on since I have had nothing but problems with Constant Content from the moment I joined.

EMAIL #3
We could not accept your content, "Caring For the Chinchilla - Helpful Tips and Advice"

This article has not been adequately revised. We cannot accept it. Do not resubmit.

Make sure you follow our writer guidelines or your content could be rejected often:

Submission Guidelines
http://www.constant-content.com/area/su ... elines.htm

If you have specific questions about why your article was rejected, please post your questions in our "Article Rejection"Forum. We have many people that approve and reject articles so be sure to include the article name.

http://www.constant-content.com/forum/

The forums are separate from the website so you will have to register before posting here.

Thank you
http://www.constant-content.com/
grouchy

Post by grouchy »

If you're leaving anyway I want to say this: There are so many errors just in your forum posting that I'm not surprised by your rejections. This probably isn't the best site for you.
RLBaxter

Post by RLBaxter »

I will say this before leaving. My record speaks for itself. I have worked as a freelance writer for seven years. Three of my clients have been hiring me regularly for all seven of those years. I have two published books. In all of this I have never had a single complaint and never any trouble except through this site. I signed on when Constant Content was first developed and have only managed to get one article accepted.
Cyndy Hardy

Post by Cyndy Hardy »

Rebecca, I hope you're around long enough to read this:

From reading your Web sites, you seem to be a talented writer. Hey, I'm a talented guitarist but there's a reason I don't make money doing it -- I don't have the patience to learn the mechanics of the craft.

Anyone can self-publish an ebook or two. That doesn't make you a professional writer. This is a harsh analogy, but that's like saying a drug dealer is a pharmacist.

Professional writing is a craft. Have some pride. If you don't think your readers deserve that, you should stop offering your work for sale and keep it in a shoe box.

Going back to the other sites may be the right thing for you to do. But, consider this -- your articles WILL be accepted there and you will NEVER improve whatever it is that keeps your articles from being accepted here. That's because other sites accept just about anything. Is that what you aspire to?

CC is a great site for writers to develop their skills and make some decent money, compared to the bottom-feeder fees you'll get where you're going. You'll see from my inventory that I'm not here for the money. I make that in the traditional publishing market. I'm here because it's a fellowship of sorts and I LEARN from the other writers and Ed.

So my criticism is not for CC's sake. It's for yours and for the integrity of the craft. There are enough would-be writers on those sites who sell half-a** work to buyers who buy it because it's easier than paying a decent fee for something they can't or won't do themselves.

Whether you stay with CC or not you have a choice: keep thinking you're writing is technically sound; or fire your friend and find someone who will tell you the truth.

Feel free to ask me for my rates.
Elizabeth Ann West

Post by Elizabeth Ann West »

Wow Cyndy.... that's some spunk if I ever saw some!

I think Cyndy said it all, and I hope this writer will grow from the experience of rejection rather than ignore its message.

On a separate note, I can remember stressing over my first article submission for an entire weekend. I was thrilled when it was accepted. I don't stress small articles that long anymore because it isn't practical, but anything longer than 500 words I take at least a day away from to edit.

Always Smiling,
EAW (my fingers like Ed's short hand)
Cyndy Hardy

Post by Cyndy Hardy »

lol

I'm frustrated enough that the Internet has changed our profession from one where clients paid hundreds or more for advertorials to one where they get them for pennies on the dollar -- and the writers feel lucky. I draw the line where writers whine when they are held to a higher standard.

Here's a weekend writing idea for anyone who's interested: Compare the pre-Internet copy writing industry to today's market, focusing on fees and whether the flood of "writers" has diluted it. Include a segment on non-Internet market rates, using professional organizations and brick-and-mortar writers for sources.
CRDonovan

Post by CRDonovan »

RLBaxter, I'll weigh in too.

You may still be wondering what is the matter with your article. I just note from your post above (and granted, forum posts are generally more relaxed) that you have confused noun pronoun agreement. Example: you said that you gave your work to " a friend" and "they" did not find errors. But "a friend" is singular, the correct pronoun would be "he" or "she" did not find. See what I mean?

So, it is probably small, but key errors that caused your article to be rejected. You can't blame Ed for this. Ed has demonstrated that he is happy to have writers rework and resubmit a rejected article. But that doesn't mean guesswork - (throw in some apostraphes and see if that works).

Not trying to diss you, just saying, that, as Cyndi said, this is a craft, and one worth learning. There are great books out there for style and grammer which you might want to consider. That might be the harder way. Quitting this site is the easier way. I for one would be happy to see you stick it out and succeed.
CRDonovan

Post by CRDonovan »

I have one more thought about this. Rejections are a huge part of the writing landscape. You can't take them personally, though sometimes that's hard, I know.

You just have to persevere through rejections. Try to learn something, and then move on. Otherwise it's like wanting to work in a kitchen, but not being able to tolerate heat.
sarahsanuth

Re: Rejection of Caring For the Chinchilla - Helpful Tips and Ad

Post by sarahsanuth »

I am new here and don't know all the ins and outs. I have used other sites where I post articles and they do well there. So I am taking a crack at this.

Is it after the third time an article is rejected that you cannot resubmit that article... but can continue up to three tries with each and every article?
Ed

Post by Ed »

No . . . authors may be suspended after three rejections total. However, rejections that result from submission mistakes are usually disregarded, unless they happen habitually after the author has had time to get used to our system.

Thanks,
Ed
marianexpress

Post by marianexpress »

Hi,

As a non-native English writer, I thought I'd give also my 2 euro cents (hi hi!) to this discussion.
I'm a good writer in Portuguese, my native language; I'm a good writer in Spanish, my third language; and in my second language (English), I've surprised several clients who are weary of trusting non-natives.
While searching on the Internet for a website where I could have more freedom of topics to write about, I've read comparisons between CC and other submission sites. Honestly, I didn't want to be writing for free just to advertise my work, because IMO that's not really working, that's writing as a hobby.
One of the reasons I joined CC was the high-level demand of the writers' quality. Sure, it scares me to be tested, especially in a field in which I have university training, and see my work rejected. But I face CC's rejection from a positive point of view: improving my writing is a challenge, and proving that I'm as good a writer as an English native is something I ambition. If CC has this reputation of being a demanding website in terms of writing, then if I can say I have published articles here, that is the best business card I can hand in to a client, because it destroys all prejudice created around non-native English writers.

You are all right when you say this is a craft: technically, you may know how to write excepcionally well, but there is so much more to writing that technique. If it wasn't like that, then I could swallow all the Internet pages there are about a specific topic, and deliver a decent article about it. That's not the way things are: writing implies understanding of the subject, so you can properly address it and explain it to your readers.
I hope CC keeps on rejecting my articles and making me learn more about writing - as long as I don't get kicked out in the process, hi hi :-P - because otherwise, how am I suppose to value my work before my readers and clients, economically and quality-wise?

Best regards,
Mariana