First Article Was Rejected!!!!!

Area for content rejection questions.

Moderators: Celeste Stewart, Ed, Constant

miacarter

First Article Was Rejected!!!!!

Post by miacarter »

Hi there!

I just wrote my first article for you folks the other day and it was rejected for some reason beyond my understanding.

It's: Tips to Manage Hip Pain and Stiffness in and Your Dog

I checked the guidelines and it absolutely complies with everything, as far as I can see.

Could someone please enlighten me??

What happens now? Do I make any necessary changes and submit? Or what's the procedure?

Thanks! =)

-Mia Carter
Ed

Re: First Article Was Rejected!!!!!

Post by Ed »

Please check your inbox/junk folder for the rejection notification you were sent.

Ed
miacarter

Post by miacarter »

[quote="Ed"]Please check your inbox/junk folder for the rejection notification you were sent.

Ed[/quote]

Hello Ed!

I did receive a notification - that's how I found out about the rejection.

The only sort of possible explanation noted was "You may ask usage rights only for articles published elsewhere. Please also make sure your titles and sentence are clear, and that your article is free of run-on sentences."

But I assume that's part of a form letter, since the article HASN'T been published elsewhere! Though there may be a lengthy sentence or two in there.

The only thing I could think of along those lines was another story I wrote on arthritis in dogs where I utilized the same quote from the veterinarian that I utilized in this article. But the entire premise was different. So I don't know.

Any additional information you can provide would be great!

Also, what happens now? Do I resubmit it? Or is it rejected for good? How does this all work??

Thanks! =)

-Mia C.
Ed

Post by Ed »

Mia, this is the problem, as well as the title and the inclusion of run-on sentences in your article. Information from two different Suite101 articles (yours) was included in this article without change. When customers purchase an article for "unique" or "full" rights, they expect the article to be completely original. You may either make sure that the article is original, or you may ask only usage rights for it.

Thanks,
Ed
miacarter

Post by miacarter »

Thanks for the insight.

I do see the sections that you're mentioning that are similar to the Suite101 articles that I authored. But unfortunately, there's only one way that I know of to word a list of symptoms so that will have to remain as-is. I'm working from the same sets of notes from my other stories that I've written in some cases, so they're going to be similar and the wording will be similar because my writing style isn't going to change anytime soon.

I wasn't intending on offering full rights anyways - I have ethical opposition to that. I don't like the idea of someone utilizing my work and claiming it as their own. But the form that you fill out says that you can't have a free article or $0 for pricing for an article (I don't recall the precise wording).....so what do I put in that box????

I do tend to write long sentences, so I will correct that as well.

Thanks for your help. Much appreciated.

-Mia C.
Ed

Post by Ed »

Mia,

Changing wording isn't the same thing as changing style. Writers must always be versatile. If you cannot completely identify or change the sections that are the same, you can simply place a zero in both exclusive and full rights price fields.

Ed