Length

Not an author yet? Have questions? Post here!

Moderators: Celeste Stewart, Ed, Constant

Lor

Length

Post by Lor »

What are the thoughts on length? Is there a ceiling in Constant-Content? I'm working on something now, that could easily reach 2000 words to be thorough and that's after cuts. I personally hate researching things on the net and finding half-statements or information that only touches the substance of what I'm looking for.

Do web publishers buy longer articles? What are the stats here? What are the preferences?

Any thoughts you have will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Lor
Elizabeth Ann West

Re: Length

Post by Elizabeth Ann West »

Longer articles that are well researched and touch on a popular topic do sell, but they might sit for a little while before doing so in my experience. Some web publishers prefer the longer articles, if they are segmented well, because they are easy to break up with advertising blocks and jumps. For example, I once wrote a very long article with creative ways to combat shopping addiction, and the article was broken up on the final website with advertisements pertinent to each section. This is the online translation of the "fold" in traditional newspaper printing, or "Continued on pg X" in magazines.

For complicated topics like finance, it might even be better to write the longer articles because it will cover all of the information. I think it takes more effort to keep the pace up with longer pieces as the attention span for web readers is awfully short (who can think with dancing aliens/women/and costumed men offering lower mortgage rates?). Also, the prices don't usually directly multiply. For example, in my experience I can sell a 500 word piece for $40-$50, but a 1000 word piece may only sell for $60.

The longer, well-researched articles do get picked up for the premium content section, which may help draw attention to your name for private requests. The biggest thing about C-C is it is not an instant website, it takes a few weeks to build up an article inventory, and then in my case about 2-3 months before I was consistently selling more and more each month. Now, I've been so busy, my article inventory is very low, but I don't have the time to replenish it at the moment, but Celeste will be happy about that :)

Always Smiling,
Elizabeth Ann West
Lor

Post by Lor »

Elizabeth, that was very helpful. Thank you for responding so quickly.

I think I have to agree with you about keeping it small. Certainly when it comes down to the dollar value, it makes sense. I have seen a lot of articles here at $100 or more for full rights, but perhaps that will come with reputation. Hopefully I'll get one of those. However, I'm in the thick of this article now and I have to see it through. I'm writing from my own knowledge, so it's astonishing me how much I ... didn't know I know about the topic. Also this article lends itself well to ad jumping or the "fold" reference. I hadn't considered that. It could be a plus.

I also appreciate your thoughts about building up an article inventory and not to expect too much from the get-go. I considered this when I discovered the site. The odds of selling when you only have a few articles is slim. A lot of articles however, can only increase your chances. Like any business, you need patience, a good product and a kick-a$$ work ethic. I don't have the third one. Waiting for that reputation thingy to kick in.

Thanks again.
Lor
Celeste Stewart

Post by Celeste Stewart »

Hi,
I just did a quick check of my average word count for articles sold via CC (excluding private requests because that would skew the numbers) and, for me, 555 words is the average. Not to say I haven't sold longer or shorter articles but 500 to 600 seems to be the norm. The longest article sold so far was 1600 words; the shortest was 82 words - both unusual.

2000 words is probably too many for the current CC marketplace. I know that CC is trying to attract a premium market, but the bread and butter articles are shorter.

Here's what I would do. I would take this longer 2000-word piece and create a series of four 500-word articles. I would make sure that each article stands on its own but I would also write them so that they complement each other should a customer crave more. I would also write using the Internet style - short paragraphs, headings, bullet points, and so on. It's still possible to write an in-depth, well-reasearched article using this style and shorter word counts but it does require a different mindset.

In addition, don't be afraid to try a longer piece. You never know. Just realize that in our collective experience, you'll probably have better success with the shorter articles. I recommend following the proven path and venturing out a bit on your own from time to time as you set out to carve your own niche. Welcome and good luck. The CC community is here to help!

Also, yes, Web publishers DO buy longer pieces - usually after establishing a relationship. I have several customers that regularly order larger articles (1200 + words) as well as larger projects such as complete training manuals, brochures, or even hundreds of 50-word blurbs and product descriptions.
Lor

Post by Lor »

Hi Celeste
Thank you for responding. I read your views and carefully considered them. It would have been too difficult to separate into several smaller articles. The work is completed at 2600 words. There was just too much information and I couldn't cut it any further. There is actually more I would like to have added, but had to stop it somewhere. I appreciate it may sit unwanted for a very long time, but if it passes muster, I'm happy to have it sit. The deed is done. Can't take back the time or the words. Besides, surprises are always possible. <gr>

I'll remember this in future however. I know internet articles have to be written in a manner that can be read or scanned over quickly, but not always and not all topics. I am always willing to listen to those with more experience and you have taught me a great lesson. There is a marked difference between writing for the internet and writing for magazines and I'll try to keep it around 500 words for the "bread and butter." Steak, only on occasion.

Thanks for sharing your own experience. Very helpful.
Lorraine
(rain)
Lor

Post by Lor »

Well, it didn't pass muster. My own fault. I read it through this am and realized it was pimply by the second section. Too many "also's" made it confusing. I almost deleted it then. Should have trusted my instincts. Alas, a lesson learned. Follow my own rules and let the work sit for a few days. Darn it. I'm blighted, now. The humiliation will pass. Sorry I put you through that misery Ed, if you're reading this.

Lor
Ed

Post by Ed »

Just follow your own advice - put it away for a few days and then look it over again. :)
Lor

Post by Lor »

You're very gracious. I may squirrel it away for a year. Can't look at it now without cringing.

"This too shall pass," as the Arabs say.

Lor