Question or five about quoting song lyrics....

Not an author yet? Have questions? Post here!

Moderators: Celeste Stewart, Ed, Constant

DSWaltenburg

Question or five about quoting song lyrics....

Post by DSWaltenburg »

Ok....so......I've got a Beatles tune stuck in my head:

Sing along:

"Something in the way she moves
Attracts me like no other lover,
Something in the way she woos me.
I don't want to leave her now....."

and, my question izzzzzzzzzzzzzz:

How do I incorporate this particle of the song into my article, legally, without having to pay gazillions of dollars to Mr. McCartney or Michael Jackson or Yoko Ono, or anyone else who may own the rights to the song?

Can I say: The lyrics from the Beatles song "Something".....(and then go on to type the above phrase)

or: The lyrics of "Something" say it all.....(list lyrics).

Without mention of the Baytles?

HELP?!?!?!?!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I SO need these words.....and I want to use them without fear of infringements.....

If it helps, I'd be using them to describe a place, not a person.... not that that matters....

Perhaps I just need professional help.

Deborah
melissan

Re: Question or five about quoting song lyrics....

Post by melissan »

I'm no help, but interesting question. When I find myself in times of trouble, Mother Mary comes to me. Speaking words of wisdom. I think I'd just let it be.
DSWaltenburg

Post by DSWaltenburg »

Thank you for that.....you don't even know how much I needed a good smile and laugh this morning.

Amen, sister. I think I figured it out. I kind of muddled it, so it's not a direct quote, it's just been incorporated into a rewritten rendition......with some word changes, so I don't even have to mention the mop-tops.

Geeeeeeeeesh, there are so many fabfour phrasings that would fit so well with my subject!! Damn!

Another one......

Golden slumber fills her eyes.....(probably not dead on, but it's playing in my head...)

The Let It Be lyrics are probably even more fitting than the Something lyrics.

Coo Coo CACHOOOOOOO.

Deborah :D
cgardener

Post by cgardener »

I'm pretty sure that you are allowed to use lyrics if you give attribution. If you put "by Paul McCartney All rights reserved" I'm sure you'll be o.k.
Ed

Post by Ed »

Seems like this short of an excerpt would fall into Fair Use.
DSWaltenburg

Post by DSWaltenburg »

Well, I think I've found a way around it, but you'll ultimately get to be the judge of that, Ed, when I get it submitted today. It was just one of those intuition-al type things where everytime I tried to think of what to write about the subject, that kept looping in my loopy brain :)

Thanks for the info though. I wasn't getting too many clear and concise answers from Googley. :)

Deborah