Wordsplosion!

A place where authors can exchange ideas or thoughts. Talk about what categories are hot and which ones are not.

Moderators: Celeste Stewart, Ed

Ed

Wordsplosion!

Post by Ed »

You will love it.

http://wordsplosion.com/
DSWaltenburg

Re: Wordsplosion!

Post by DSWaltenburg »

Gee thanks. Just what I need....something else to pull me away from my writing!!

Trying to distract the masses, eh?
Ed

Post by Ed »

I thought it could be used as an educational device . . .
melissan

Post by melissan »

I can't stop laughing. Sad how poorly people no the English language.
DSWaltenburg

Post by DSWaltenburg »

Oh, but it IS educational! Just very distracting....especially here in Amishville, where they don't believe in high-speed internet provisions. :D
melissan

Post by melissan »

I've learnt alot.
jwatkins

Post by jwatkins »

Does anyone else cringe when they see things like that? I do. I really hate to visit websites, especially business websites, with misspelled words. Anyway,
I have created a site that will allow anyone to do something about it, even if it's just symbolical. What you do is visit http://www.berryit.com , download the Firefox toolbar, join or create a group (I have created the group "Grammar") and begin to "Berry" sites. Yes it is a play on the word "Bury." My hope is that with enough users, someday the site owners will begin paying a little more attention and the search engines will begin to rank the sites lower due to lost links and maybe the web won't be such a mess.

Just to clarify a bit, once you Berry a site, the next time that site comes up in your Google search results you will see a small strawberry icon beside the search result to alert you (and whoever joins your group) that the site is "Berried."
cgardener

Post by cgardener »

Definitely a word snob here. I have a nasty habit of correcting people. My pet peeve for the last few years has been "wah-lah!" instead of the correct word , "Voila!". I know, not many people speak French, but it seems this word is everywhere lately, and those of French origins are probably ready to kill people when they see it. My son say it's a colloquialism, and I say "No, it's stupid people."
DSWaltenburg

Post by DSWaltenburg »

I think the one that makes me want to smack someone is this:

PROLLY.

OH MY Go.......d

Would it really be so very hard to just type PROBABLY?

Probably.

O well :D
melissan

Post by melissan »

Prolly, or Probly...same peeve here.
DSWaltenburg

Post by DSWaltenburg »

Does anyone notice that we have raised a generation of people too lazy to include TWO more letters?

Probably=8
Prolly=6

Does it really make it that much quicker? The B has never BEEn silent!! :D

I could go on and on, but I think my cat farted, and now I must evacuate the room!

:D
jwatkins

Post by jwatkins »

That is why I created www.berryit.com. Hopefully we can begin to put some pressure on the content providers to up the standard a bit. A lot of it is just typos and common errors but still there are a lot of foreigners who barely speak English who are putting this content on the web.
PhilipYana

Post by PhilipYana »

I love the sign asking up to Help Handicap Children.

Must admit I even get irked with the BBC for misusing words. For example they seem to love "snub" in headlines, probably because it's short. Often the body of the piece completely contradicts the sense of the headline.

Though as for typos and apostrophes - well I know my fingers don't always type what my brain meant to write. And my eyes see what I thought I wrote, not what's actually there.

Meanwhile, what about this person who's spammed the forum. Can someone delete all their posts and their account?
Lizaj

Post by Lizaj »

Thanks for posting Wordsplosion!

I notice these mistakes everywhere, except when they're in my own writing of course (which is very annoying), and it makes reading so much less fun when people are so careless.
BarryDavidson

Post by BarryDavidson »

The words that set my teeth to grinding are they're/their/there, then/than, and you're/your. Well, that and not capitalizing the first word of sentences. I keep telling this kid who lives here in MD that I'm going to beat him with a dictionary.

I figure that by the time you have a college degree, you should know the difference. Oh yeah, did I mention no/know? (Actually they should know long before having a degree, but I've decided to be generous.)