Honesty From Customers - Licence Cheats!

A place where authors can exchange ideas or thoughts. Talk about what categories are hot and which ones are not.

Moderators: Celeste Stewart, Ed

HayleyWriter

Honesty From Customers - Licence Cheats!

Post by HayleyWriter »

Hi all,

Just a warning. Today I found an article that had been purchased for unique rights published on a website that said it was ok to copy it to anyone else who wanted it!!! My article was also published without my by-line, which is not allowed with an unique licence. I have sent support an email with details on this and hopefully, it will get resolved soon. I would like that customer to be forced to pay the full rights price for that work, since I have no idea how many people have copied MY words without any attribution or contribution to me (or CC!!!)

I have not been able to find some of my articles that have been purchased for usage only, and I am convinced that my by-line has also been removed from some of these articles too.

Hope no-one else out there has been duped by customers who cheat the licence system. It's a shame that there are people like that out there. For the first time, I have a bad taste in my mouth for something from CC. Everything else here has been terrific.

HayleyWriter
heathercarreiro

Re: Honesty From Customers - Licence Cheats!

Post by heathercarreiro »

I agree, everything else on CC has been great. Unfortunately nobody can really control the customers and what they do.

I think in my case the guy just didn't know what kind of license he wanted and didn't read the license information thoroughly. I've learned my lesson, but I just wish it had been with 1 article rather than 12!
HayleyWriter

Re: Honesty From Customers - Licence Cheats!

Post by HayleyWriter »

Hi Heather

Yes, I can imagine your frustration has been increased by the number of articles. I think it is just a shame that not everyone is honest. While it can be an "honest" mistake or misunderstanding, it is still wrong to misuse the licences. Hopefully, you will be able to sort it out with the customer for future. Thanks for the reply!

Kind regards,

Hayley