By-Lines in Article Text

Not an author yet? Have questions? Post here!

Moderators: Celeste Stewart, Ed, Constant

BarryDavidson

By-Lines in Article Text

Post by BarryDavidson »

I searched for the answer to this questions several different ways, but couldn't find an answer.

Should we include the title and by-line in the text of the article? You see, I've only been including the actual text of the article. Most of the articles I've sold were for full rights, so the by-line probably wouldn't show up anyway. But reading threads about usage and unique rights got me to thinking. Basically I thought, "If I don't put the title and by-line in the text, will it be added?"

Don't get me wrong. I'm just happy to be selling my work, and this site has been awesome. I do have a tiny bit of vanity in me though. I probably wouldn't be writer if I didn't. I do have a very small writing portfolio, but those credits were for poetry and short stories. Okay, so I have more than a "tiny" bit of vanity.
DSWaltenburg

Re: By-Lines in Article Text

Post by DSWaltenburg »

Although it's ultimately up to the customer, when purchasing full rights, as to whether they wish to include your byline, you may want to include it as a normal practice in all your articles, this way, it will be there if a fullrights purchaser does wish to use it, and it will automatically be there if a usage/unique rights person purchases it.

As for title in the body of the text? That's just your preference.
Celeste Stewart

Post by Celeste Stewart »

I always put both the title and the byline in the text, even for private requests where I know it'll be dropped. I believe it helps to have it all in one place - plus it reminds them who wrote that fabulous piece so that next time they need another, they'll remember my name.
lynnellen

Post by lynnellen »

My question is about the Public Requests List: What does Purchase Rating indicate?

Thanks,
LEW
jak

Post by jak »

It's the number of articles the customer has bought so far. Tells you if they are regulars or new to the site.
Celeste Stewart

Post by Celeste Stewart »

Let me add that this number can be deceiving as some purchasers work in teams. I recall a client who had an assistant post the request while the "boss" made the actual purchases. It was funny because no one else was writing for that particular request, yet I was selling the articles like gangbusters (and later landed private requests)... I also know for a fact that there's a current request open with the same scenario. So, keep an eye on the recently sold list to see what's actually selling, too.