question about rejection

Area for content rejection questions.

Moderators: Celeste Stewart, Ed, Constant

aneeta

Re: question about rejection

Post by aneeta »

Ed, Barry and Celeste,

I owe all of you an apology! I'm so sorry. Despite all the explanations given by all of you, I was suspicious as I cannot imagine that Ed would give the wrong reason. Instinct told me something had to be wrong at my end ... I just didn't know what it was.

After putting the article away for hours and looking at it again, I finally saw the links in the article. The reason for rejecting my article stands. I'm so embarrassed but, at least, I finally understand it!

Perhaps, I could explain what I did. Maybe, sometime in the future, someone else whose article gets rejected may be able to see/understand what might have happened in their article. In my article, I wanted to illustrate a point and chose to refer to a conversation between Mr. and Mrs. Bennet (from 'Pride and Prejudice'). I copied/pasted the conversation from a similar article I had written earlier. To make sure that I complied with the 12pt Times New Roman rule for the font to use, I just clicked Edit > Select All and proceeded to change the font; I aslo changed the colour of all the text to black. What I forgot was that some of the words like 'Netherfield' and 'Mr. Morris' (which were in blue in the previous article and, therefore, clearly visible) were linked to other websites. So, I did not see them when I checked and re-checked the article I prepared for CC.

If anything, I've learned my lesson. I'll be even more careful next time. But, as I said, I'm really sorry. Thank you all for your patience and trying to explain things to me. I do appreciate it.

Aneeta
Celeste Stewart

Post by Celeste Stewart »

Time away from articles generally reveals what we can't see right away. Thanks for sharing a valuable lesson.

Be careful about copying and pasting, even from your own articles, as you don't want to risk plagiarizing yourself or others. I'm sure yours was just a small quote that most likely fell under fair use and all, but use care (as you learned).
jak

Post by jak »

Aneeta. This did happen to me once and Ed told me there was an invisible link within my article. I finally worked out that what happened was because I had cut and pasted a couple of words from my research page, some of which had been copied in from other websites. I hadn't realised that the words I pasted (complicated names of a building or site in a foreign city) originally had a link with them.

Just thought I'd mention this in case you've done anything similar.
aneeta

Post by aneeta »

Jak,

This is similar to what happened to me. The only difference is that i copied from another article I'd written, not another website! Thank you for sharing this - it gives me comfort that I'm not the only one who did this!

Aneeta