Author pics... Do they help or hinder?

Not an author yet? Have questions? Post here!

Moderators: Celeste Stewart, Ed, Constant

mjcrowe

Author pics... Do they help or hinder?

Post by mjcrowe »

Hello people and Ed (who I have established is REAL!),

Do you think it helps to include an author photo in the CC bio? I have included mine, something I have never done on book back jackets, as publishers have told me I don't look like the sort of person who would have written the books that I have. Oh well…

Here at CC I feel a little braver and can only hope the face doesn't have prospective clients running to the hills.

What are other CC writers’ thoughts on the subject of putting a face to the name, or in this case, pseudonym?

MJC
BarryDavidson

Re: Author pics... Do they help or hinder?

Post by BarryDavidson »

I would say it helps in some cases, not in others. I know it sounds rather ambiguous, but it has to. There are some who will look at a picture before reading an article, and some who will go straight to the meat of the article. You never know which you're going to get. Luckily, most of the customers here are looking for the meat.

As for being told that you don't look like the type to have written what you have. I would consider that a compliment. Take a look at Stephen King. He looks like he's still getting beaten up on the playground.

The only reason I'd say for you not to include a picture is because you don't want to, or you're in the witness protection program.