Formatting Problems

Area for content rejection questions.

Moderators: Celeste Stewart, Ed, Constant

hmmm

Formatting Problems

Post by hmmm »

Hi there,

I have submitted the article, "Base Perfection: Professional Foundation Application Techniques," twice now, and it's been rejected both times.

The first time, I hadn't realised that you need to recheck the format when saving from Word into Notepad, so the font, spacing, etc were wacky.... my bad! But I'm unclear as to what happened the second time. The reason for rejection is stated as:

"The article document
is formatted with uneven lines
which
makes it very difficult to read.
Please make sure your article is formatted for readability."

The lines don't appear uneven at my end, so I'm thinking I must be seriously challenged in the computing department! I would simply resubmit the article in Word, but as I only have one more shot, I want to make sure I'm clear on the exact nature of the problem.

Do you recall anything about the article that may guide me? I understand that I should have typed my summary into the form rather than using cut and paste (won't do that again!), though the rejection email specifies the article itself as being the problem so I don't think that can be the issue.

Please help!
Ed

Re: Formatting Problems

Post by Ed »

I think the problem is that your text document doesn't recognize proper margins or do the wrap-around properly. You might try using the original Word document and saving in rtf format. This should keep your formatting intact. Someone else might have a more comprehensive suggestion. Some txt docs appear this way, and some don't - I don't know what the trick is to make the document convert properly.

Thanks,
Ed
hmmm

Post by hmmm »

Thank you for your speedy response! Do you mean that I can upload the document in Word (rich text format)? If not, I'll look into plain text conversions, and try again when I've figured it out.

Thanks once again for your help.
LJ.
jak

Post by jak »

Hi Helen. I'm not sure why you are converting your text at all. If you are using Word, can you not submit a .doc file? That's what I always do.
jak

Post by jak »

Sorry if you're not Helen. Post still applies though.
BarryDavidson

Post by BarryDavidson »

You shouldn't need to do anything beyond saving to .doc format if you're using Word. If you're using Word 2007, you'll have to save it in Word 2003 format. You can go through the trouble of saving it in .rtf format, but that just adds an extra step into the mix.

If you're using Notepad, nine times out of ten it'll severely screw up when saving and uploading. Wordpad isn't much better, but it automatically saves in .rtf format if I'm remembering correctly.
hmmm

Post by hmmm »

Hi there!

Shall stick with Word then, and keep my fingers crossed that the article itself doesn't let me down this time!

Thank you for your help everyone!

LJ