rejection question

Area for content rejection questions.

Moderators: Celeste Stewart, Ed, Constant

giselle2020

rejection question

Post by giselle2020 »

My article "How to Write Effectively When You're in a Real Hurry" got rejected. The reason is "This article contains problems with clarity and awkward wording." Can you please give me some examples on where my wording is unclear?

Thank you.
Giselle
Ed

Re: rejection question

Post by Ed »

Once articles are rejected they are purged from our system, so writers are responsible for finding their own errors. Awkward wording can create problems with clarity, so your article should be thoroughly proofread for both. Working from memory, I can tell you that one problem your article exhibited is awkward use of the conditional tense (would). Your introduction was also problematic.

Thanks,
Ed
giselle2020

Post by giselle2020 »

Thank you Ed. I found two places where I used the "would". I was using the conditional tense after the "if" clause. If you don't like this, I'll change it to the present tense. I'll rework the introduction.
Ed

Post by Ed »

Please review the entire article for areas that may be improved for clarity. As I indicated to another writer, unclear/muddled wording, vague wording, wrong wording, or sentence structure errors can create problems with clarity. Excessive use of pronouns or the use of pronouns that do not clearly refer to an antecedent can be problematic.

Thanks,
Ed
giselle2020

Post by giselle2020 »

Ed,

I realized that my last article could be viewed as a a bit too promotional.

I submitted a new article, and hopefully, it is OK. I know I have to wait my turn, so I'll be patient.

Giselle
ChrisCampbell

Post by ChrisCampbell »

[quote="Ed"]Once articles are rejected they are purged from our system, so writers are responsible for finding their own errors.[/quote]

I know I'm just new here, and don't mean to sound pushy on my first post, but this seems like a pretty inefficient way of doing things. Wouldn't it make sense to let the author know where you find a problem with their work. That's got to be better then hunting through an article, hoping to find what you think an editor didn't like. I would think it would also serve to educate the writer, as to what not to do the next time.
Ed

Post by Ed »

Writers are given a basic rejection reason. We require that writers here be able to proofread their own work and catch their own mistakes. Writers who submit to CC should already be at a level in their writing where they can catch their own errors with prompts to revise and proofread.

Thanks,
Ed