I'm flummoxed

Area for content rejection questions.

Moderators: Celeste Stewart, Ed, Constant

pinkhat

I'm flummoxed

Post by pinkhat »

My article, "Are You Guilty of These 10 Frugal Sins?", was rejected in an email that stated the following:

"This article does not consistently make well-supported arguments. It needs revised for clarity as well."

I've re-read the article and can't for the life of me find where I've made any unsupported arguments. Obviously, I was using the word "sin" in the secular, implied sense, not suggesting that being too frugal is an actual sin. The article also seems perfectly clear to me as it lays out a case for not being frugal if it leads you to steal, be too greedy, ignore social obligations etc.

If you remember proofreading it, maybe you could steer me toward clarity?

Thank you,
Pinkhat
Ed

Re: I'm flummoxed

Post by Ed »

Stating something is simply "unethical" without backing up this statement does not make a good argument. Stating that it's a crime to take extra sugar packets from a restaurant, but not a crime to take extra napkins for use in the car, is not a good supporting argument because this is confusing or the reason these two actions are different has not been clearly explained.

Please review the entire article for problems with clarity. These are only examples.

Thanks,
Ed
pinkhat

Post by pinkhat »

Thank you, Ed. I'll start with that point and then look for similar ones throughout the article. What I was trying to convey is that using a lot of napkins during a fast food meal isn't a crime, but it's still using more than your share of something, while taking many items that you're not using for that meal is truly stealing. Petty theft, true, and but it's still theft.

Thanks,
Pinkhat
Ed

Post by Ed »

It might be helpful to the reader to define or describe what is considered unethical in the context of the article. I think most people who practice what this article states not to do not believe it is unethical, either because they use a different definition of the word in the context of this situation or because they do not feel that their actions have consequences.

Thanks,
Ed
BarryDavidson

Post by BarryDavidson »

As someone who does use lots of napkins, has taken sugar packets I won't use immediately and even taken three or four extra plastic utensils, I can say that I don't view it as unethical unless I was to take everything on the counter.

Reasons:
1. I have children and they are quite messy. It's always good to have extra napkins in the glove compartment.

2. My wife adds very little coffee to her sugar.

3. Kids almost ALWAYS drop their utensils.

4. Given the fact that the food is usually market up at least 400%, a few extra .001 cent napkins or .009 cent sugar packs isn't hurting their bottom line much.

5. Is it really stealing if you bought something?

I see what Ed was saying though. It looks like the appearance is you're arguing both sides simultaneously without clarification between the two. It's natural to play devil's advocate, but writing needs to specify the intention. (Unless you're a politician, and then you never say anything while arguing both sides.)

So, why is it a crime to take sugar packets, when taking extra napkins isn't? It might help to clarify exactly what "extra" napkins is as well. Is ten too much, or twenty? If you do take twenty, and yet use them all during your meal, is it really taking "more than one's share"?

Just a few ideas to throw by you.
Elizabeth Ann West

Post by Elizabeth Ann West »

I haven't read the article, but posting a small excerpt in the Constructive Criticism thread may help.

From what is sounds like, this is what you are trying to communicate:

Business owners expect patrons to use condiments, utensils, and napkins available for the meal purchased at the establishment. Some patrons use only two napkins to eat a fast food meal. A family with young children may need "extra" napkins since children are likely to make a bigger mess. Where frugality causes a problem is the point where a patron takes "extra" anything specifically for a meal NOT purchased at the establishment. For example, taking handfuls of sugar packets to keep in your purse, or plastic spoons for your lunches you bring from home during the week. This is the equivalent of stealing, since the business owner purchased those items for use in the restaurant or reasonable take-out meals.

Hope that helps give you some ideas to improve clarity. I linked taking extra stuff with a concrete concept: Using things for a meal not provided by the establishment.
Cheanque

Post by Cheanque »

You guys get extra napkins? Heck, where I live you just about have to beg for them.