Uhh, whoops

Not an author yet? Have questions? Post here!

Moderators: Celeste Stewart, Ed, Constant

sranta

Uhh, whoops

Post by sranta »

What if you notice a problem in one of your articles that has been accepted? Normally I would just take it down and resubmit, but this article had a usage rights sale before I noticed the issue. Is there a way to get the corrected version to the buyer afterwards?
audrabianca

Re: Uhh, whoops

Post by audrabianca »

You always have the option to contact support.
sranta

Post by sranta »

Thanks. My first sale, and it has an extra and where it shouldn't be.

Next time I'm going to wait a few days before the final proofread and upload.
BarryDavidson

Post by BarryDavidson »

Even with usage, the buyer can do small edits. They can't change the main body of the text, the title, or remove your by-line. They can however edit for grammar, spelling and punctuation.

I just reread a story I had published in 07, and found more than a couple of errors in it. I was surprised that the editors of the online magazine didn't fix them, but that's their call. While some people notice small errors like you described right off the bat (and it's a good idea to not have errors at all), the majority of online readers will skip right over an extra "and" in the middle of a sentence. Well, as long as it happens only once.

Ironically, for bigger words, most people won't even notice that it's misspelled if the first and last letters are correct. "If you can raed tihs jublme wiohtut mcuh prbloem, tehn you get the pitcrue."
Celeste Stewart

Post by Celeste Stewart »

Technically, I don't think buyers of usage articles have the right to edit, even for typos, grammar, or punctuation. While I doubt anyone would squabble over a buyer doing so, the only license that allows changing of content is the full rights license.
BarryDavidson

Post by BarryDavidson »

I'll have to reread those 'rules and regulations' regarding usage licensing. Of course, there may be something in the CC contract which prohibits ANY editing. From my experiences in other forms of publishing - they can edit for spelling, grammar and punctuation, but not change anything else (content) unless approved by the author in advance.

There are errors in just about every form of writing (not enough to go to war over thankfully). I used to not notice them until my wife, who is an editor, started pointing them out to me. Now, I can't even read a book without every error jumping out at me. Too bad I'm not as good at spotting my own screw-ups.