Help the Rejected

Area for content rejection questions.

Moderators: Celeste Stewart, Ed, Constant

viqifrench

Help the Rejected

Post by viqifrench »

It's been a while since I posted an article here - glad to be back! But both articles I recently submitted were rejected.

1. "Home-based Business - A Self-Exam to Identify the Right Opportunity"

2. "Home-based Business - The Secret to Living the Dream"

I've just re-read the guidelines and see a few problems I created (e.g., my name/link up top, probably a non-accepted font).

Please let me know if there's anything else I should correct on those articles.

Sorry for not reaquainting with the guidelines first and causing us both extra work. ;-)

Viqi
Celeste Stewart

Re: Help the Rejected

Post by Celeste Stewart »

Hi,
Welcome back. Just curious, should the title read: Home-based Business or Home-Based Business? I think I would capitalize the "b" in "based" but am not sure off the top of my head how that rule works for hyphenated words.
viqifrench

Post by viqifrench »

Hi Celeste,

I know it looks funny with the "b" lower case, but I'm 99% certain I've typed "business" correctly for an article title. I think the Internet's fast-pace and casualness are making a lot of stuff that's incorrect look right.

Anyway, I just looked this up at a few credible sources. Here's what I found at the University of Minnesota's Style Manual:

-- Capitalize the first element in hyphenated compounds in titles.
-- Capitalize the second element if it is a noun or proper adjective or if it has equal force with the first element;
do not capitalize the second element if it modifies the first element or if both elements constitute a single word.

Correct Examples:
-- Pediatric Neurology-Psychiatric Liaison Committee
-- 19th-Century English Novels
-- School-related Projects in Language Arts
END QUOTE

Kinda confusing, but I believe "Home-based" is correct in a title -- in the same vein as "School-related" in the example above.

However, I'd have no problem changing those article titles to "Home-Based" if that's what's needed to get them approved. Just let me know!
Celeste Stewart

Post by Celeste Stewart »

That makes sense to me. Like I say, off the top of my head, I wasn't sure about the rule. Thanks for sharing.

Hopefully Ed will remember the reason for the rejections. If you had links as you mentioned earlier, then that's a definite reason as links are rarely allowed (unless specified by the customer). As I understand, Ed's been traveling this week, so hang tight.
Elizabeth Ann West

Post by Elizabeth Ann West »

Oooh I'm guilty of capitalizing the second word in a hyphenated phrase. Bad me. :)

I do know that Home-based and Home Based are both accepted terms though. The search engines treat them the same since they disregard punctuation.
viqifrench

Post by viqifrench »

You've both reminded me of why I love this forum. People who care about the art & craft of writing, and possess a sincere spirit of being helpful! Thanks for brightening my day.

I'll fix those articles and soon resubmit them. Hope Ed's enjoying his time off (while supplies last). ;-)
Ed

Post by Ed »

Viqi,

I think that was the reason for your rejection. If you can resubmit with the corrections made I can explain if there are further problems.

Thanks,
Ed
viqifrench

Post by viqifrench »

Thanks so much, Ed. I just resubmitted both articles.

However, for one of them, I forgot to fill in the keywords at the bottom.

If you need to kick it back, I'll add the keywords: home-based business & make money online.

Best!
Ed

Post by Ed »

I'm almost certain you can edit the keyword portion of the submission form even before review. You can use the "Edit" feature available to the right side of every article in your content list.

I'm sure someone will tell me if I'm wrong.
viqifrench

Post by viqifrench »

Thanks, Ed, for encouraging me to look again for a way to add the keywords. I've done it.

Hope it'll be smooth sailing for both articles now. Just let me know.
vjlenin

Post by vjlenin »

I have always gone with the "Home-based" It's a single word actually. About 20th-Century, you got the rule.