Do I have to do this?

Not an author yet? Have questions? Post here!

Moderators: Celeste Stewart, Ed, Constant

continue25

Do I have to do this?

Post by continue25 »

Hello,

I'm a purchaser and I was wondering when I purchase a "Usage" article when I put it on my website and my website only do I need to put the authors name with it? I can't seem to find this answer anywhere.

Thanks in advance for your help
HayleyWriter

Re: Do I have to do this?

Post by HayleyWriter »

Hi,

If you have purchased a usage licence, you cannot make any changes. This means that if an author has placed a by-line on the article, you do need to publish that name as the author of the article. You can only change the full rights licences, which is why authors will generally charge more for the full rights licences. The FAQ section has a full description of the different licences and what you can or can't do with each licence.

Hayley
Celeste Stewart

Re: Did a have to do this?

Post by Celeste Stewart »

Hello,
Yes, with the usage license, if the writer includes a byline within the document, you need to include that. For example, if the article reads:

The Wonders of Writing
By Joe Smith

Then, that must be included. In fact, usage articles cannot be modified in any way.

If the writer does not include a byline, that's fine; you don't need to include their CC screen name or hunt them down trying to determine how they want to be credited. The same is true of the unique license. While a unique license can be published over and over, it cannot be modified. If you want greater control, the full rights license is the way to go. You can drop or change the byline, insert your own links, add your own keywords, update the article as needed, and make any editorial changes you want.

Thanks for asking. I hope this helps.
Celeste

*********** Edited to add the link containing more information about the license types:
http://www.constant-content.com/about/faqs.htm
geniuswaitress

Post by geniuswaitress »

I didn't realize that not including a byline on my article itself meant that I wouldn't be credited. I thought it was just helpful (to avoid forgetfulness or errors). Oops. I haven't included it on any of mine. I thought usage rights meant we had to be credited.
HayleyWriter

Post by HayleyWriter »

Usage rights means the customer is not allowed to change the article, so I read that as not adding in the by-line if it is not within the document. With all the different pennames some authors use, how would the customer know which name to use if you do not include the byline? You cannot expect customers to go searching for your byline if you want the credit for writing the article.

I write my byline underneath the title in my document, and include this information in the long summary (extract). This indicates to prospective buyers that if they do want to take my byline off, they need to pay for the full rights. Personally, I include my byline on every article, even those for private requests that I know are going to be purchased for full rights. I figure it shows that I am proud of my work, and it also is a good practice, so that I don't forget to put the byline on articles I do want credit for as usage. I have also found customers will pay more for the full rights licence if they really do want to remove the byline.

You do need to include your byline within the actual document of your article, because many authors do not include a byline at all, nor want the credit for writing the article. If a customer purchases an article without a byline in the article document, even for usage, the assumption is made that the author does not want the credit for the article.

Hope this helps!

Hayley
Celeste Stewart

Post by Celeste Stewart »

If you don't put the byline in the article, the customers might use your screen name as a byline or nothing at all. Best to insert your byline in the article to be sure.

I also always put "By Celeste Stewart" in all articles, private requests included. Even if I know the byline will be dropped, it helps to build name recognition. Customers hopefully will remember that Celeste Stewart did a fantastic job for them and will come back later asking for more.