Is there a market for short articles?

A place where authors can exchange ideas or thoughts. Talk about what categories are hot and which ones are not.

Moderators: Celeste Stewart, Ed

Dr. Kristie

Is there a market for short articles?

Post by Dr. Kristie »

Hi everyone! I usually write articles that are around 400-500 words in length. Have you had any success with shorter articles in the 200 to 300 word range?

Kristie
SallyA

Re: Is there a market for short articles?

Post by SallyA »

I've sold a few of that length but they tended to be more blog-orientated than actual articles.
geniuswaitress

Post by geniuswaitress »

I've sold a few too. Organizing them into lists of tips maximizes the amount of information you can fit into them, which makes them seem more worth buying. A few paragraphs of reporting isn't a bargain on its own, but ten short tips for doing blah-blah-blah might be.
Ed

Post by Ed »

For anyone reading: Lists of tips are only accepted if each item on the list is accompanied by an explanation. Thanks.
geniuswaitress

Post by geniuswaitress »

I never would have thought otherwise, but thanks for the clarification. I only meant "list" as a means of organizing short material.
Celeste Stewart

Post by Celeste Stewart »

I've sold about 40 in that word count range (not counting private requests such as product descriptions and blurbs). Short book reviews and focused tips such as a 250-word piece on "How to Customize 'My Computer.'" They're usually short and to the point. I remember a funny one detailing an unusual gift for baby showers that was 280 words and sold for $45!