The 'three-rejections-and-you're-out' rule and US v UK spell

Not an author yet? Have questions? Post here!

Moderators: Celeste Stewart, Ed, Constant

PhilipYana

Re: The 'three-rejections-and-you're-out' rule and US v UK spell

Post by PhilipYana »

Ed, thanks - I would appreciate a pointer to those resources you mention.

After my last post I went off to look at some sites to compare what I am did with the norm for good writing. However looking at a few articles from the front pages of the the New York Times and BBC News I couldn't see much difference. They do use very short paragraphs and single-sentence paragraphs. I agree that would look horrible in print, but it doesn't seem to unusual for serious writing online.

Here's an example of what I mean:

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/12/20/busin ... ml?_r=2&hp
Ed

Post by Ed »

Constant Content does not sell news, so these examples aren't good ones for this discussion.
KarenLiebhaber

Post by KarenLiebhaber »

[quote="Celeste Stewart"]I believe the rule is really a guideline and is used at the discretion of the powers that be. For example, I doubt they'd kick someone off because of three minor punctuation mistakes or typos when their body of work is usually clean and well written. However, if that same writer consistently makes the same mistakes and doesn't make an effort to correct and avoid them, then who knows? Likewise, if a submission demonstrates a complete lack of basic English skills, I imagine one or two submissions would be enough for the editors to say, "Thanks but no thanks."[/quote]

Question: I have had 4 articles accepted (one was rejected initially but accepted once I made the modifications) and have sold 2 of those 4 articles (within one month). However, I submitted an article the other day and it was rejected because of spelling/typos--stupid stuff on my part. My question is will my 3rd rejection be an automatic suspension or might I be okay?

In addition, to those who publish on here frequently, do you still receive rejections occasionally or do you NEVER receive them?
Ed

Post by Ed »

Everyone receives rejection notifications. Problems arise when an author fails to consistently meet our requirements and does not show signs of improvement.
KarenLiebhaber

Post by KarenLiebhaber »

Whew!! Thank you so much, Ed! :-)

I don't mind being rejected because it's a great way to improve, but I'd hate to lose access to CC. I've had such a wonderful experience here--and I am very proud that I have been able to write acceptably for this site. I've read reviews elsewhere about how "hard" CC is to write for because of their "strict" writing criteria, but I think it's wonderful that quality is so important here. I also feel like I am growing as a writer each time I submit an article for review.

Thanks again, Ed!
Elizabeth Ann West

Post by Elizabeth Ann West »

Oooh, sorry to further the discussion on one sentence paragraphs. I admit I have used them in my longer pieces as a break up. Especially if my introduction is more than one paragraph, I will usually use one powerful sentence that sums up the intro and gets the reader ready for the body. I would say though this is very rare, and I can't think of using a one sentence paragraph in any other way that would be okay.

Didn't realize this is an Ed pet peeve.
Ed

Post by Ed »

It's okay in rare instances, but entire articles should not be written this way.
sabrianc63

Post by sabrianc63 »

Wow scary to read this being a newbie here, No one is perfect and if we are we should be so lucky , I found a couple of typos on this general site, and they are not in the posting it is in the site itself, I think kicking someone off this site for 3 rejections is a bit rough.
I do understand proof read proof read , your writing first , but this seems to be a bit harsh. I love to write and can write on almost any topic , I am given , but guess we will have to see how it works out here. hmmm
Celeste Stewart

Post by Celeste Stewart »

We all love to write here, but we must master our own words, spelling, grammar, and punctuation. Think of it as if you have three chances to prove your mastery of the English language. Surely, three chances is enough. Sometimes more than enough. . .
BarryDavidson

Post by BarryDavidson »

I've had at least ten rejections in my time here. A couple of them were even two rejections of the same article in a row. Ed has been strict but fair in my experience. As many of the others have said, it's all about consistently showing improvement. If an author keeps submitting the same pieces without correcting the mistakes which got them rejected in the first place, then they might not be right for Constant Content. No one is perfect, but trying to be is a good rule. Even if we never achieve "perfection" we will be better writers for trying. Each rejection I've gotten has made me think, and my work has improved as a result.