Referencing/Quoting

Not an author yet? Have questions? Post here!

Moderators: Celeste Stewart, Ed, Constant

someoneisatthedoor

Referencing/Quoting

Post by someoneisatthedoor »

My apologies if this question has already been answered, I did have a look around but couldn't find an answer to the specific question. When quoting from an article or a book is there a 'house style' with regard to using quotation marks or paragraphs?

For example, when I write on my blog I include quotes in indented paragraphs, and only use quotation marks if it's actual speech, and always use weblinks to references where possible. I'm thinking it's probably best to use endnotes, obviously removing the http bit of the web address as specified.
HayleyWriter

Re: Referencing/Quoting

Post by HayleyWriter »

Never indent for CC articles. Use quotation marks with proper punctuation when quoting anyone. Referencing is a good idea, but your writing should be original. Only use a quotation, properly punctated and referenced, when it adds something to your own work, and not for every paragraph. You can reference within the article itself too, without using endnotes. For example if you are using Mark Twain's famous quotation, "Rumours of my death have been exaggerated," you could include that information within the text. Here is an example using a quotation and a reference within an article's text.

Journalists have been making mistakes since newspapers were invented. When reading a report of his own death, author Mark Twain famously responded with, "Rumours of my death have been exaggerated," according to the Wall Street Post in 1905. With the ease of finding information on the internet, whether the information is accurate or not, journalists who do not investigate the source or the information fully can make many mistakes.

Please do not quote this at all - I have NOT checked the above is accurate and have no idea whether the Wall Street Post reported on Mark Twain's quote. It is an example, not a fact! (Yes, I am aware of the irony!)

Including the information within the article's text gives the reader all the information, without looking around for what numbers mean within the text to reference the correct endnote. It also means the reference is available, whether the customer prints the endnotes or not. Some website styles do not suit the printing of endnotes or references, and the customer may prefer not to include the sources, especially if it directs people away from their own website.

Hope this helps,

Hayley
Ed

Post by Ed »

Extensive quotes (more than two sentences/lines) should be in block quotes, but like Hayley said, customers are looking for original content and an article that contains extensive quotation should not be submitted to CC. Quotes should always be used sparingly, set off from the text appropriately (with quotation marks), and the original source should be referenced in your preferred style.

The examples Hayley gave, as well as her tips about using quotes, are good ones.

Thanks,
Ed
someoneisatthedoor

Post by someoneisatthedoor »

Cool. I'm not thinking of jamming any pieces full of quotes and while I appreciate the customers are after original content I assume they also want to see that research has been done properly.

Thanks for your help, I'll see how I get along.