Rejection seems highly personal

Area for content rejection questions.

Moderators: Celeste Stewart, Ed, Constant

RoxanneG

Rejection seems highly personal

Post by RoxanneG »

I submitted an article almost two weeks ago. Today it was rejected. Here is the supposed reason why:

==== Rejection Information for Your Article: ====

This article makes generalized statements that are not supported by facts/evidence. In addition, it does not present the information in a way that is useful to the reader. Readers want facts that are relevant to their situation; what "some people feel" about a situation or what other people do is not useful, usable information for a reader.

==== End Rejection Information for Your Article ====

Ed obviously has a personal issue with me since I had an opinion that differed from his in the forum. I had two professional copywriters look over my article before I submitted it.

The reason for "some people feel" is because the professionals thought that would be the best way of wording it so I'm not putting words into the reader's mouth and offending anyone.

YES - they are generalized statements, however, they are based on the answers that MY group of homeschoolers gave. How in the world would I prove that? Did Ed think I would scan and attach the survey papers? Many writers use surveys to gather information. I surveyed a group of 24 homeschooling families that meet on a weekly basis. Ed took almost two weeks to pick apart this article and couldn't find anything grammatically wrong with it, so he chose to slam me with this junk. This makes no sense whatsoever.

Sad!!!!!!!
Lysis

Re: Rejection seems highly personal

Post by Lysis »

LOL Hi roxanne. I'm sorry about your new rejection. It's not personal, I assure you. He doesn't even know you. :P

You may want to reword something like "so-and-so feels" to either a) a professional resource - like "a study conducted at the university of such and such..." or b) state a fact. It's hard to give suggestions without seeing it (and god knows I don't know a thing about kids or anything suzie homemakerish) is to replace instances of other peoples feeling with just stating a fact.

Instead of saying "I feel this is wrong," say "This is wrong."
Instead of saying "homeschoolers feel the need to teach..." say "Homeschoolers teach x y z to advocate xxxxxx..."
Catch my drift?

Just trying to help. I promise after a few dozen rejections, it's like normal. :D
Zabrina

Post by Zabrina »

Roxanne, that must be really frustrating. Every rejection is!

Try not to take it personally, however difficult it is. -pats- If you want some help with it, you can send it to me and I'll look it over and give you my opinion of where he might be coming from. (I happen to have a personal interest in homeschooling, as a former homeschooled student, if you're wondering. :wink: ) No guarantees, but I'd do my best to help. :)
RoxanneG

Post by RoxanneG »

The problem is that I didn't say "I feel..." anything. It was all facts based on an informal survey of local homeschoolers. There was no source to quote. It wasn't a school study or a university study. I did simply state facts. I am a homeschooler. The article was written as reasons why people homeschool and reasons why some parents feel they aren't capable of homeschooling. I included how to get around each reason that some parents come up with. I NEVER write in the first person for anything other than my blog.

Nope...Ed claims that if your writing shows improvement you will get more approvals. That's why I called in a few favors and had professional writers look it over first. They only made about 3 changes to what I had written. He mulled it over for almost 2 weeks digging deep to find a reason to reject it.
Ed

Post by Ed »

The rejection notice never implied that your article was written in first person.

Articles can be free of grammar errors or other errors and still not meet our requirements. Our guidelines state that articles must offer useful information to the reader. Additionally, well-supported arguments are a standard of quality writing. This article did not exhibit either of these qualities satisfactorily.

Ed
RoxanneG

Post by RoxanneG »

"articles must offer useful information to the reader"

And you are the sole judge of that? Every one of the homeschoolers in our group said they wished they had read an article like this BEFORE deciding to homeschool. They especially thought that if they had something like the "Concerns" section, they would have realized they were not alone in the way they felt.

So...maybe it is not useful to YOU, but everyone else who read it felt it was a useful article.
Ed

Post by Ed »

Authors who wish to write for Constant Content may either write articles that meet our requirements or they may seek another market for their work. Articles that do not meet our requirements will not be accepted. Every publication or website has a similar policy. It has already been stated that this article did not meet our requirements. It cannot be accepted here.

Ed
RoxanneG

Post by RoxanneG »

It was a simple question. Are you the sole judge of what is "useful information to the reader"? And another quick one - how in the world do we, as writers, know what you will find useful? It's a serious question.
Amy W

Post by Amy W »

Rejections hurt, and they can feel personal, but they almost never are. I can guarantee you that Ed did not reject your article because you disagreed with him on a forum - other authors here have done the same, and have gone on to much success on the site.

Also, I'm sure that Ed does not find every article he approves personally useful. I'm not sure he had any use for my article on waxing :wink: - but it was still approved. Ed doesn't have to find your articles personally useful, your reader does. If your articles contain useful information presented in a clear and concise way, they will be approved. The parents in your homeschooling group thought your article was informative. But maybe Ed found fault with the way you presented your argument in your article. I haven't read your article, so I can't say one way or another. Give yourself some time away from your article, then go back to it and study it objectively. Maybe you need to quote more formal studies. Maybe you need to give clearer examples. It's hard cutting up your own work, but we all have to do it - and the article always comes out better on the other side. Just treat yourself to some chocolate and a great movie before you start editing!
RoxanneG

Post by RoxanneG »

Amy,

Thanks for the attempt at encouragement. My reasoning stands.

How can we possibly write what Ed feels others will want to read if Ed won't tell us where those guidelines are? According to Ed, my article was rejected because it did not "offer useful information to the reader". HOWEVER, a large group of people who do homeschool said they wished they had read something like this before they began homeschooling.

My argument is that if Ed will not tell us what topics he feels people will want to read and what HE feels is useful information on the subject, how can we possibly follow guidelines?? TWO WEEKS!!! It took him two weeks to dig for this rejection. He has stated if he sees improvement, that is what he cares about. That's not the case. He's arrogant and obviously has control issues. He's so overworked that it takes him two weeks to review an article, but he won't hire someone to help him?? He wants us to write what he feels the reader would want to read, but won't tell us what he feels those things are.

If a group of homeschoolers said they found the article interesting and wish they had read something like this before they started, then how can a sample of the target audience be wrong and Ed be right?? NO - it isn't possible. I am certainly one to play by the rules, however, if the rules are not spelled out, I can't play by them. He gives generic reasons for rejections and vague answers to many questions. Then he refuses to answer a perfectly valid question.

Why?? What reason would he have to play stupid games?? None - other than his personal issues with someone. People need to know. Read the forums here. He plays these games with a lot of people. Many just quietly go away. I'm not one to turn tail and run. If I've done something wrong, I want to know what it is. When the person who is saying I did something wrong refuses to tell me specifically what that is, I tend to get upset.

SO...one more time...I want to know, Ed, who decides what information is "useful information to the reader" and how are we, the writers, to know what the decider of useful information will feel is useful? New writers need this information. They need to know why you feel more people would find an article on waxing more useful than an article that explores reasons people homeschool and concerns that some parents feel are barriers to homeschooling?

Ed

Post by Ed »

We go back to the original rejection notice:

This article makes generalized statements that are not supported by facts/evidence. In addition, it does not present the information in a way that is useful to the reader. Readers want facts that are relevant to their situation; what "some people feel" about a situation or what other people do is not useful, usable information for a reader.

This is all there is left to say on the matter.

Ed
RoxanneG

Post by RoxanneG »

Of course it is - because you said so. LOL
Zabrina

Post by Zabrina »

Roxanne, maybe it's best to set this article aside for a while and work on a few other articles. You can always try coming back to it and rewriting later. :) I know it's frustrating to get a rejection, but it's also hard to see Ed's point while your emotions are obviously involved.
RoxanneG

Post by RoxanneG »

Zabrina,

The point is that Ed refuses to answer direct questions and then treats people like idiots when they disagree with him. He can't give concrete answers. How the heck do we write what he dictates readers will be interested in when he gives us no guidelines to go by? THAT is the point. He has declared that people would not want to read about the reasons people homeschool and the reasons some parents feel they are unable to homeschool. He has dictated that these are not topics readers would be interested in, however, they are topics that my homeschool group and an internet forum of mothers (I've heard back from 58 of the 546 members so far) found very interesting. Therefore, Ed is wrong. He is on a power trip. Many blindly follow him. I can't.
Amy W

Post by Amy W »

Since you took a little dig at my waxing article, I'll reply to your post. First, finding ways to reduce pain during waxing is not only useful, it is essential :D . I once had a colour theory teacher tell me that there is no such thing as a bad or ugly colour. The same goes for articles: there is no such thing as a bad idea for an article.

Second, I don't think you're listening to what Ed has to say. He never said in his posts here that the basic idea behind your article isn't useful. If you look on the site, you'll see other articles about homeschooling that have been approved and have sold. Your rejection message says that there is a problem with supporting evidence and generalizations in your article. The problem isn't with the idea, it's with the follow-through. A non-writer reading your article might find it perfectly fine - the parents in your homeschooling group thought it was great. But it's the difference between showing a painting to a student and showing that same painting to an art critic. A student will say it's great, but an art critic will point out the flaws. If the painter likes the painting the way it is, great. But if he wants to improve, he will follow the advice of the art critic.

Ed has read your article, critiqued it, and pointed out its weaknesses to you. You don't have to take his advice - you can take your article and post it somewhere else. But if you want to submit articles here, you need to follow the rules. If you have a problem with your article, the best thing to do is wait a few days before looking it over again - you might find problems with it. If you still can't find anything wrong with it, you could ask for help on the forums. If you read over the forums, you'll find that the writers who truly want to improve ask for help and receive it.