For Ed

Not an author yet? Have questions? Post here!

Moderators: Celeste Stewart, Ed, Constant

cashwriter

For Ed

Post by cashwriter »

This is maybe a silly question, but I'm curious:

What do you like best about editing our articles?
I'm just thinking it's got to be so interesting and quite a learning experience to be able to read articles on such a wide variety of topics. What have you learned from reading an article that has been particularly useful to you personally? What is your favorite part of your job?

No rush on an answer, but when you get the time, I'd love to know!
Ed

Re: For Ed

Post by Ed »

What a great question, especially for a Monday! It gets the week started on a positive note.

It is interesting reading articles on a wide range of topics. Information that I've gotten from articles submitted by CC authors inevitably works its way into conversation. I often reference CC for my source of information, because if I can't remember where I've picked up some fact or tip, it's usually from an article I've reviewed.

My number one favorite thing is working with a great staff for a site that attracts writers who are interested in producing quality content. But if you're looking for the day-to-day things that make my job exciting, I'll share some specific examples.

I love reading articles that have been written by a careful hand with both the individual reader and the intended audience in mind. I love articles that have been written with special attention paid to technical detail, syntax, organanization, and other important aspects of writing. I love unexpected thrills - aptly used rare words or complex sentences that appear effortlessly constructed and convey their meaning with flair. I love a good day's work when there have been more approvals than rejections. I love to be able to approve first submissions by new authors. I love it when an author takes the time to revise an article in such a way that creates marked improvements in the entire piece. I love a new take on an old, overdone subject.

The absurd nature of some submissions is also a joy to behold. Most of these have obviously been written in a language other than English and run through a translation program. These never make it on the site, so I'm not sure if authors are aware that we get such submissions, but they're pretty funny. Other oddities appear in the article files and on the submission forms. At the end of one piece, the word "croutons" was inexplicably appended.

Ed
PeggyTee

Post by PeggyTee »

Croutons!

*chokes with laughter

Thanks for that, Ed.

<<croutons>>
cashwriter

Post by cashwriter »

Thanks for answering Ed. (Now get back to the grind and accept my pending articles!) LOL