August Challenge for Authors

A place where authors can exchange ideas or thoughts. Talk about what categories are hot and which ones are not.

Moderators: Celeste Stewart, Ed

eek

August Challenge for Authors

Post by eek »

I've been waiting for Celeste to prompt us for a new August writers challenge, because I've found them very helpful. So I'm taking this bull by the horns and asking for ideas. (Celeste - can you come out and play?)

Here's a very vague idea, but maybe perfect for this month when we're all busy vacationing (we wish) or getting ready for the kids to go back to school: Let's try an article in a category that we've never, ever used before, or a category that is somewhat lacking on the site. Even if you are new to the site and you're building up your article files, you can participate by picking a category you ordinarily wouldn't try. You don't have to choose something you hate, necessarily.

Please forgive me if we've already used this idea in past months. I've been painting and my memory is pretty thin.
emma
Celeste Stewart

Re: August Challenge for Authors

Post by Celeste Stewart »

Sounds good! Who's in? I am! Thanks for taking the bull by the horn, Emma.
HayleyWriter

Post by HayleyWriter »

Hi Emma and Celeste,

I'm in too. I like this idea. I know I have been a bit quiet on the CC front lately, but I have every intention of writing more this month, and I love the idea of challenging myself to write in a new category. I usually stick to topics that I know really well or can write about from personal experience, so this will be a good challenge and should stretch my writing skills. Who knows, I may love the new category so much that I become an "expert" in that field too. I'll let you know when I meet your challenge!

Hayley
cashwriter

Post by cashwriter »

I would love to try this too. I'm a noob, but I'm sure I can find something outside of my normal comfort zone and give it a try. Thanks for the motivation!
cashwriter

Post by cashwriter »

Well, I'm pretty sure I went outside my comfort zone this month by writing about underwear. LOL I'm not a Victoria's Secret kind of girl, and so it was interesting to talk about the practical and emotional aspects of buying and wearing bras and panties. It was fun to write, anyway! Thanks for the challenge!
cashwriter

Post by cashwriter »

C'mon folks, am I the only schlep that's done this? LOL
Zabrina

Post by Zabrina »

I don't have much of a comfort zone... one of my friends whom I'm trying to get into Constant Content remarked that I have the "most random" selection of articles. :lol: Anything outside my comfort zone is usually dry and boring anyway. Still, I'm going to have a look through the categories and see if I can find one that meets the challenge...
EricScott

Post by EricScott »

When a public request was posted the other day I ignored it at first. Then I thought about the August challenge and wrote an article for the request. I had no idea I could write 550 words on using USB drives as a promotional gift, but I did. And it sold! That was pretty cool.
MeggieHardy

Post by MeggieHardy »

WTG Eric - now there's an inspiration for us all!
Zabrina

Post by Zabrina »

I did it! :) I was kinda reluctant to, but I wrote an article on how to find a sugar daddy... and found out that I do have a comfort zone. :lol:
Celeste Stewart

Post by Celeste Stewart »

You're a braver woman than I am that's for sure writing about candy bars and such. Oh wait, THAT kind of sugar daddy? :)
Zabrina

Post by Zabrina »

:lol: Gave me a much-needed chuckle. Yes, "that" kind of sugar daddy. :wink: An article about chocolate bars would definitely be firmly inside my comfort zone... actually, now that you've suggested it... *scurries off*
eek

Post by eek »

Wow, and I thought I was brave writing a short fashion piece (scarves). I'm not sure it was the bravest piece, or a successful attempt, but it was at least a toe's width away from comfort. Testing the waters, so to speak. I started a few more that I considered knee-deep in discomfort (for me), so this exercise will be ongoing for me.

But I'm steering clear of underwear and so-called candy bars. :) You girls can have those, but I hope they'll be lucrative for ya!

Emma
Zabrina

Post by Zabrina »

I liked the piece on scarves! Fashion writing so doesn't come naturally for me, either. You did great. :D
eek

Post by eek »

Thank you, Zabrina. You're very kind. If it sells I'll feel even better. :wink: