Taking a break = 3 sales

A place where authors can exchange ideas or thoughts. Talk about what categories are hot and which ones are not.

Moderators: Celeste Stewart, Ed

Lysis

Taking a break = 3 sales

Post by Lysis »

I was taking a break because I was screwing up too badly. Some of my articles sold within that time, so I just wanted to post to others who might be frustrated that a break is good and you can still sell old articles while clearing your head.

Oh yeah, and don't sell yourself short with the $5 offers. 2 of my sales were after people offered me $5 and $8 for the articles.
Antonia

Re: Taking a break = 3 sales

Post by Antonia »

Hey Lysis, that's really encouraging. I've been feeling kinda discouraged lately because I've written nearly 50 articles and sold a grand total of only 4 licenses. :(

It's good to remember that we don't have any control over when our articles sell. I'm glad taking a break worked out for you!
jak

Post by jak »

My recent break was enforced because I moved house and it took over a month to get my broadband up and running (problems with telephone suppliers). But it still worked for me. I had sales in that time.
Zabrina

Post by Zabrina »

Sheesh, I feel your pain, jak. Some ISP's are just a pain in the neck!

Glad to hear that taking a break works for people... if I were sane, I'd do the same thing. :wink: As it is, I'll be taking a break for at least two or three days in about three weeks, when I move and get set up in university. I figure the more articles I can get approved before then, the better I'll do while I'm figuring out how this whole university thing works. :P
Lysis

Post by Lysis »

> when I move and get set up in university.

Nice! Good luck this semester. I start this Monday. I'm excited and bummed that my long break is over!
Celeste Stewart

Post by Celeste Stewart »

I feel so old. . . Have a great year! CC's a great college job if ever there was one :)
EMJames

Post by EMJames »

Oh Celeste, I too feel old. I go back to college next Monday. However, I'm a writing instructor. I wish all of my students had the dedication and skill that the younger writers here have demonstrated. Excuse me, I guess I would be out of job if my students didn't need me. Therefore, I wish several of my students had the dedication and talent of the younger writers at CC have demonstrated.

Have a great school year! (I wish I had CC as a job when I was in college!)

With Much Envy of Your Youth and Resourcefulness,
EM James
Zabrina

Post by Zabrina »

Thanks, Lysis! Same to you, and I hope your semester is starting out on a good note. :) Out of curiosity, what major are you?

No need to feel old, Celeste... after all, you're only as old as you feel. ;) And I'm really hoping to turn CC into a part- to full-time job during my college years. Beats working in retail! :lol:

EMJames, that made me laugh. :P Unfortunately, not all students seem to care about writing. The sheer carelessness some students demonstrate is one of my biggest pet peeves, and I'm considering applying for a student job at the campus writing centre next year. ^^
Lysis

Post by Lysis »

I'm a biochem major. I'm just taking classes to avoid the school loan payments until I can get into grad school. I'm hoping to enter a grad program in the winter.

And, I'm one of those old fart students. I was originally in college in my 20's for computer science, but then I got a job making more money than a college grad, so I quit. I'm back in the saddle in my *cough* early *cough* 30's.
Celeste Stewart

Hey, there's an article: How to Avoid Student Loan Payments for as Long as Possible :D
Lysis

Post by Lysis »

Ok, don't get mad if I take that one, that's a good idea! LOL People laugh, but no one wants that bill when it starts rolling in!
Celeste Stewart

Besides, if you write about it and sell the article, you can apply your earnings toward the bill.
Zabrina

Post by Zabrina »

Lysis: Ahh, grad school. Terrifying prospect for me, that. :lol: And hey, you're never too old to learn. :D I appreciate older students, because real life gives you experience that a classroom never can, and that experience translates into a better learning experience for those who aren't too self-absorbed to pay attention to their classmates. :) (As you can tell, I have some issues with certain students in my generation. :wink: ) I took about a year and a half off after graduating high school to work full-time in an IT Help Desk, and boy was that ever an education. :lol:

Celeste: That's actually kinda along the lines of my plan... I'm hoping to make enough from CC and freelance writing in general to cover my university tuition, so I don't end up with student loan payments like Lysis! :P
Lysis

Post by Lysis »

"I'm hoping to make enough from CC and freelance writing in general to cover my university tuition, so I don't end up with student loan payments like Lysis!"

Yeah, seriously, don't do student loans unless you reeeeeally need them. Unfortunately, I have no choice. Suck up all that aid that you can and good luck!