Random Questions

Not an author yet? Have questions? Post here!

Moderators: Celeste Stewart, Ed, Constant

Phil

Random Questions

Post by Phil »

Some rookie questions from the back of the room......

Should we include the title of the article at the top of the file we upload? Or, is the place we type it in during the submission process enough?

If I understand what I've read, bold is ok when doing subheadings right?

How does CC recommend we source material? Normally on my blog I use a blockquote. But, I don't want to give the impression I am pumping up the word count. If I list the source material at the bottom is that ok? I wouldn't even count it in the word count and the customer would be given the option of using it or not. I've no idea why the question just popped in my head either. I'm just kind of random like that.

First person is not allowed unless the customer makes that distinction in the request right?

Thanks,
-Phil
Lysis

Re: Random Questions

Post by Lysis »

I can't comment on the blockquote, but I can answer a couple of them since it's what I do:

1) Yep, you can include the title at the top, carriage return, then your byline.
2) Yep about the bold subheads. I do it all the time, because I think it's a web article thing. People like short paragraphs and headings for web articles. I'm not sure SEO helps on this site, but bold subheads with keywords are important in that aspect. I don't know if buyers look at that at all though.
3) No first person unless it's a specific request.
Ed

Post by Ed »

Most authors list the sources at the bottom of their articles. We don't accept content with website addresses or links, however, so be sure that sources are formatted so they conform to our guidelines. Blockquotes are appropriate for academic articles, but customers here are looking for original content in the author's own words.

Thanks,
Ed
Phil

Post by Phil »

Lysis and Ed,

Thank you for the time you take to answer rookie questions. I think the reason the questions are popping up is that I am still brain locked for a topic. So the brain is trying to fool me into believing that I'm not "ready" until I have all the questions answered. I think on sources, I will start noting in the short summaries that specific sources are always available on request. That way I don't inflate the word count nor violate any of the canons on formatting.

New question. How should I handle product articles? I understand that we are not allowed to submit "Promotional articles, or submissions that contain promotional language". So if the customer wants their products highlighted what do we do? Obviously, they are not going to purchase something that doesn't assist them in selling their product. The reason I asked is that I contacted a customer and asked about his product so I could write a better article. Below is an excerpt from his reply. Obviously the CC staff has seen variations of this before. I don't want to waste anyone's time writing an article that will get rejected. Any guidance or advice would be appreciated.
Then symptoms and a solution ultimately leading to the product. Please let me know what you think.

All the best,
Thanks again,
-Phil
Ed

Post by Ed »

If the customer requests an article and specifies that the article must be written in a certain way, even if it deviates from our guidelines, the author may do so. But a request is not automatic permission to play fast and loose with all of the guidelines.

Thanks,
Ed
Phil

Post by Phil »

Man y'all are fast. Seriously I appreciate the quick turnaround when questions are asked. That is simply one more reason I am feeling better about working with this site.

I get that you cannot simply use a request to go all-out-crazy with the guidelines. That's why I asked the question. I think I can get to work now and see about getting some of y'all paid.

Thanks again Ed.
Phil
Ed

Post by Ed »

Yep. Just making sure it's clear for anyone reading.