I Got a "Warning" - What Gives?

Not an author yet? Have questions? Post here!

Moderators: Celeste Stewart, Ed, Constant

damon929

I Got a "Warning" - What Gives?

Post by damon929 »

Please forgive me if I get a bit heated here, but I am actually offended and annoyed.

I have been working through CC for a very long time and have sold quite a few articles. Today I received a PERSONAL email from David Kool warning me that the next time I ask for a customer's url I will be banned from the site.

Now, I understand the policies here on CC about not contacting customers outside of the system and I have adhered to that since day one. In fact, I have actually had to EXPLAIN to NUMEROUS customers (who are clearly confused by the way CC works) that I CANNOT speak to them outside of CC. Call me moral, fair, whatever... but I ALWAYS remind clients that we need to work above board. I like the protection that CC affords me (and trust me, I have LOTS of clients outside of CC and getting paid can get hairy) and I recognize CC's need to protect itself... but COME ON.

The email in question was a request for a link to the customer's website so that I could get a better understanding of the types of articles the customer needed. I'm glad I got it, because the topic I was originally going to do was already on his blog. So it would have been an exercise in futility and a waste of time. The piece I ultimately wrote was just approved and will hopefully be purchased by the customer... which I think is proof that I was not trying to "hoodwink" CC.

I must also note that this is not the first time I have asked for additional information from a customer. One recent project was a keyword article that promoted the customer's business. Of course I needed to know the location of the business, the website address, the business name, the owner's name, etc. To expect us, as writers, to work without that information in some cases is ASININE!

What annoys me is that I have been told if I have ask for personal information again I will be banned. THAT annoys me... because now I have to walk on eggshells, making my job even more difficult. Had I said something like, "give me your phone number" or "give me your email address" so we can talk about this you'd have a point.... but by simpoly asking for the customer's website address to do a better job with the content?

Stupid stupid stupid.

CC needs to address this and I am not changing the way I try to serve my and YOUR customers. Look for a pattern of abuse before making such threats!

Sincerely,

Damon Peter Rallis
Constant

Re: I Got a "Warning" - What Gives?

Post by Constant »

Let me be very clear here: Asking for contact information from clients, regardless of past history with the site, is against policy. We do not have the resources to make this a case by case rule, vetting the honesty or integrity of each writer. This is not punitive or malicious in any way and is an attempt maintain the integrity of the system of which we are all a part of. There is plenty of room in each request for clients to post any and all necessary information for the successful completion of an article. In addition we have an email system to solicit any additional information not included in the initial request. There are no exceptions, and unless the URL in question has been approved and is in the request, it is not acceptable for our writers to ask clients for their URLs. Once outside of the system there is no way for us to monitor or ensure the quality of the work being produced.

Damon, we appreciate the honesty that you have demonstrated in the past, and have no intention of dismissing that history. However the warning remains, we can not allow for the potential fall out that results from the exchange of personal contact information, which URLs are, whether you think so or not.

These are the rules, and they are clearly spelled out in Terms of Service. Please respect them. That's all there is to it.

David Kool

http://www.constant-content.com/about/t ... itions.htm
damon929

Post by damon929 »

I appreciate your response David. Thank you.
Phil

Post by Phil »

Damon,
I am going to break with my normal quirky sense of humor and get very serious.

Thank you for posting this. I asked and received information from a customer via CC's contact form. It allowed me to tailor the article so the clients needs were explicitly met. Had I realized that I was breaking a rule I would not have done it. So, your experience has helped me. Since I am a genuine rookie at this sort of thing I always appreciate practical knowledge. I hope that your knowing of one person that you've helped takes a bit of the sting from your experience. Thanks Again. - Phil

David,
Thanks for posting the link. As I mentioned to Damon I am a rookie and all information is helpful at my stage of development. But, the Marine in me will not allow a problem to exist without at least suggesting a resolution. So here goes...

Since some customers are fairly skimpy about info in their requests, can we contact someone from site staff to request info to be added to the request? This way you get to ensure the info is approved and are able to consistently enforce the rules in a fair and firm manner.

And, is there a site index that will allow me to look for other links I missed? I promise that before I became active I thought I had read through all the policy, procedures, and limitations. I honestly don't remember seeing a prohibition on requesting links etc from customers. - Phil
Debbi

Post by Debbi »

It's not against the rules to ask a customer for clarification on a public requst, is it? We're just not supposed to ask for contact information like email or web addresses not already posted in their request, I thought. If so, why is there a Contact Customer option?

This is why I suggested letting customers have profiles, so they could put all the relevant info in there and writers don't have to run the risk of being banned for asking for too much information from them. As has been discussed in other threads, working in a vacuum is difficult.

Debbi
Constant

Post by Constant »

Bottom line is if you need more information, evaluate what information you need and then ask for it. You really shouldn't ever need the URL. If a customer chooses to include it in his request and we approve that request then that is the only circumstances when its ok.
canywriter

Post by canywriter »

Ok, I got a warning though I haven't asked for or given any contact info in any mail - the only contact I've been having recently for a private request is with David Cool - who contacted me. SInce CC already has that info, I didn't see any violation.

Our system has noticed that you have sent contact information through out our email system. Please be cautious when making transactions outside constant content. Constant Content provides a safe and convenient environment for purchasing and selling content. Please ignore this message if you have not submitted contact information.

The disclaimer does come as a bit of a relief, but is this a standard mail sent to all authors or what?

CW
Ed

Post by Ed »

Please contact Support if you need clarification about this warning.

Thanks,
Ed
canywriter

Post by canywriter »

Curiouser and curiouser. Will do. I haven't even used the email system lately.

CW