Number of Hits per article

Not an author yet? Have questions? Post here!

Moderators: Celeste Stewart, Ed, Constant

Debbi

Number of Hits per article

Post by Debbi »

Ok, I know that a lot of the hits listed for an article in the My Contents table are from other writers (I look at all y'all's work :) ), but my Starting Your Own Business: Five Ways to Generate Busniess Ideas has gotten 134 hits since it was approved a week ago but no nibbles. Is this normal? Does it mean I should lower my price, put Best Offer, re-write it, change the short summary, or just wait until the right buyer comes along? My other SYOB article has sold usage rights twice already and has fewer hits.

Advice, anyone?

Debbi
Lysis

Re: Number of Hits per article

Post by Lysis »

Hey Debbi,

I had an article sell after 171 hits. It was on the front page for a time. It's unusual, but I'm sure it happens sometimes.
Antonia

Post by Antonia »

I just read the article. I think the price is right--it's well-researched and engagingly written so I wouldn't think you'd want to take less money for it (unless you somehow whipped it off in 20 minutes). I do think that is quite a bunch of hits, but don't have any idea on why the buyers aren't snapping it up...maybe try a few spin-offs so you can get mileage from the same content while you wait for this one to sell? I can't remember what the topic was, but I had one article that had been sitting around for a while with lots of hits that I rewrote from the "opposite" point of view (ie Ways to=>Ways NOT to) and the spin-off sold right away.
eek

Post by eek »

That's a good idea, Antonia. I have two article that have been sub'd in the past month with huge numbers of hits (169 & 135). I suspect they are *hot* topics but perhaps the clients are looking for a twist. Mine could be too much of the same old thing, warmed over.

Another consideration, Debbi, is to consider the word length. Many of my older articles tend to hover around or over 1000 words, but I've had a customer ask me to rewrite them to fit her 400-words max newsletter. I'm not suggesting you rewrite anything you have, but if you spinoff from the popular topic, vary the length.

Emma
Debbi

Post by Debbi »

Hah! My article finally sold after 171 hits. I just need to practice more patience. Thanks, everyone, for your encouragement :)

Debbi
Lysis

Post by Lysis »

Debbi wrote:Hah! My article finally sold after 171 hits. I just need to practice more patience. Thanks, everyone, for your encouragement :)

Debbi
Wow, how weird is it that it sold on the exact number as mine? LOL totally weird, but totally cool. Grats!
Debbi

Post by Debbi »

Yeah, I noticed that too..... *weird music* Spooky!
canywriter

Post by canywriter »

Congrats Debbie! One of mine also sold after 155 hits! So it's worth the wait, I guess!