Re-submitting an article after acceptance

Not an author yet? Have questions? Post here!

Moderators: Celeste Stewart, Ed, Constant

Lysis

Re: Re-submitting an article after acceptance

Post by Lysis »

Scott, no not at all. I also don't get hallucinations, so I'm not sure if that is something induced by an abnormal reaction. I don't know much about wormwood, but such an intense side effect could be a) overdose or b) a chemical predisposition (schizophrenia?).

I drink it rarely and do it the RIGHT way - sugar cube on a spoon, pour absinthe, light the cube on fire. It's costly. Something like $200 from S. Africa for the real thing. So I only drink it in moderation and on special occasions. That might be why I don't have the severe side effects. It is a different feeling from alcohol, though, that is for sure.
ScottRC

Post by ScottRC »

Lysis,

My article just mentions in passing that there's a popular Absinth Bar in the Red Light District of Amsterdam. I wonder if the bartender does all the pouring-over-sugar-cubes stuff?

When I get the time I reckon I'm going to read everything I can find about absinth and write something about it, even though I've never tried it myself. I'm particularly curious about something I read stating that the rationale behind outlawing wormwood was totally bogus. Can't wait to look into that, actually.
Lysis

Post by Lysis »

Scott, I think that would rock. I only found out about absinthe because my ex had a friend who traveled to south africa on business, so he brought back the good stuff. He and I started ordering it after that. I blame him for getting me hooked. LOL

He told me the sugar cube and fire is the right way, but it makes it reeeeally sweet. If you buy the right kind, it's not so bad but I still need to dilute it.

Incidentally, once of my first articles was on the benefits of wine. I think your article would be incredibly unique and interesting to read.
ScottRC

Post by ScottRC »

Lysis,

According to my research thus far, real absinthe - i.e., absinthe with wormwood - became legal for import in the US in March of 2007. There's a brand called Lucid Superieure, made in France for the New York-based Viridian Spirits company, that's available here, as well as at least one other brand of "genuine" absinthe. Lucid was the first to become legally available in the US since it was outlawed here in 1912.

All the historical chicanery and hysteria surrounding absinthe is pretty amusing and was apparently fueled by the European wine industry, which saw the popularity of absinthe as a threat. All the junk science surrounding wormwood and thujone - a chemical that is present in absinthe but only in small, harmless amounts - is amusing to read about and provides yet more evidence that science has been warped by politics and industry for quite a long time.

I don't drink, but if you ever give Lucid a try (assuming you haven't already) I'd love to hear how it compares with your South African brand. By the way, what's the name of that South African brand?
Lysis

Post by Lysis »

Scott,

I drink Doubs. They have brands with and without the wormwood. My favorite is green (very technical of me, heh? LOL). The bottles are clear, so it looks like a green bottle.

Legalities of importing it are shady. Customs can still cease it. I've only ordered it 3 times in the last 3 years. You don't really want to draw attention to yourself by ordering the stuff several times a year to the same address ($200-$400 per bottle is pricey anyway). You know it's shady when the store you buy it from promises the packaging is discreet and will get through customs. LOL I've read that you can import the stuff with up to a certain amount of wormwood, but honestly, I don't pay attention to that. Worst that will happen is customs ceases it and you get a letter to come pick up your stuff if you dare. LOL That's when you just eat the money and say "Damn. Busted."

The first time my ex ordered it to our house was 2007, so it might be that he was unaware of the new law. It makes me feel better knowing it's legal. You have to go pick it up from the post office and sometimes the guy will ask you what it is. I guess now I can tell the truth. LOL

Definitely try Doubs. It is awesome. I'll have to check out the brand you mentioned, but if it's illegal in Europe, I imagine it's not the real thing? I got stiffed on a bottle once and it didn't have the wormwood in it. It was too sweet and I did not like it at all.
ScottRC

Post by ScottRC »

Lysis,

Actually, it's not illegal in Europe. Most of the European countries that outlawed it have reversed themselves and made it legal again. Some countries, like the UK, never outlawed it in the first place - but it was never very popular there anyway.

Oddly, it seems that the countries that made absinthe with wormwood legal again (including the US) have been fairly quiet about it. They probably just don't want to waste time and resources battling the ignorance about absinthe that still exists - it's hallucinogenic, it's more addictive than alcohol, etc.

You might want to check out Lucid Absinthe's web page: http://www.drinklucid.com.

I don't drink so I'll never try the South African, the American or any other version, but I'm really curious about how they compare, and if Lucid really is the "real deal." The founder of the company seems pretty passionate about it, anyway.
ScottRC

Post by ScottRC »

P.S. I'm totally pulling this out of my butt, but I wonder if the South African store you ordered from plays the "discreet so it'll get through customs" angle because that makes the product seem more valuable, allowing them to charge more for it?

There are still restrictions in the U.S. regarding the amount of thujone absinthe can have, but thujone isn't an active ingredient (even though a quack scientist popularized the notion that it was similar to THC and caused hallucinations, which it isn't and doesn't.) Maybe the customs precautions would be necessary if the S. African stuff had higher-than-legal levels of thujone - but, from what I've read, it wouldn't make any sense to put more thujone in the product. Thujone wouldn't make the absinthe taste any better or worse, nor would it enhance the buzz or affect it in any way that would add value.

It would be amusing if the South Africans are using American ignorance about the fact that the product is legal to jack up their prices and make the purchase seem really exciting and adventurous. But I don't know if that's the case.
Lysis

Post by Lysis »

> It would be amusing if the South Africans are using American ignorance about the fact that
> the product is legal to jack up their prices and make the purchase seem really exciting and adventurous. But I don't know if that's the case.

It's very possible. Your post is the first I'm hearing of it being legal. Most Americans don't even know what absinthe is and they get paranoid about anything that comes overseas. Americans are tied to the media and don't branch out. Many believe that anything and everything that comes from a country other than here is inferior. Some of us know that isn't true. ;) This is why if I ever can afford to travel abroad, I will tell people I'm Canadian. LOL