Keywords

Area for content rejection questions.

Moderators: Celeste Stewart, Ed, Constant

karrie1908

Keywords

Post by karrie1908 »

Hi all, first off thanks, I decided to delete two of the three articles I posted for review today and only go with one to start. I wondered though when using keywords is it better to use one word keywords or can we use search phrases such as google adwords lists?

I was also curious, the .txt file we upload should that contain a restatement of all the content on the summary page? Should we put the summary etc. into that file even though we have listed it on the posting information?

Any advice would be appreciated!

Karrie
Lysis

Re: Keywords

Post by Lysis »

No, the file just has your article. Mine looks like this:

Title
Byline

Content.

So, no summary in the doc.

As for keywords, I don't think you need to worry about that here. I guess you could focus on a phrase to sell to a particular audience, but I just write and proof and don't have a problem selling articles without worrying about keywords.

Phrases are better for SEO, but I think the CC app just picks up single keywords.
Debbi

Post by Debbi »

I put a lot of keywords and keyphrases in the article submission form because I thought they were used for buyers to find the article on CC using the Search function. I check the Search Topics on the Recently Sold Page often and add keywords and phrases to my article form using Edit on the My Content page.

Say I have an article on weight loss. I might put "weight" and "diet" in the form, as well as phrases like "weight loss" and "easy diet". Then I might see a search term like "get thin" in the Search Topics list and I'll add that in the form too since some buyers may only use the Search tool and not browse the category lists or my title might not have diet or weight loss in it specifically.

Am I misunderstanding what the keywords in the article submission form are for or am I misunderstanding the question in this thread?
Lysis

Post by Lysis »

oh duh, I'm a retard. I thought she meant keywords in the article. I'll crawl back under my rock now. LOL I am too used to people talking about SEO and keywords in articles. xD
Celeste Stewart

Post by Celeste Stewart »

Keywords goes both ways: in the content and in the form. Some customers do want SEO content so if your article is written with a keyword phrase/strategy in mind, be sure to mention that in the short summary as it's a selling point. LIkewise, include those words in your form so that the customers can find your article in the first place.

Other customers are more interested in "organic" keywords which takes us back to the old way of writing. For example, if you're talking about "first aid" you could either focus on keyword density and repeat the phrase over and over (SEO writing) or you can take a more organic approach by inserting phrases such as: first responders, emergency response, paramedic, EMT, emergency medicine, CPR, workplace safety, water safety, defibrillators, American Red Cross, bandages, injuries, etc... These supporting keywords reinforce the topic and give search engines a better sense of what you are really talking about. Plus, it's the way most of us writers really want to write. Yeah, keep keyword strategies in mind, but take heart in knowing that search engines are starting to value context.

Also, if you want to copy and paste your short summary and keywords into the Word document properties area, that may be helpful to you. Once you delete a submission or the submission is declined, the short summary and keyword fields (and everything else) go away. All you have is your local copy of your document. By copying and pasting the info into your document's properties field, you have ready access to it should you ever need to resubmit. It's not overly glaring to customers though should they explore that area, I suppose that would be like a hidden bonus.

Welcome to the site, Karrie!
karrie1908

Post by karrie1908 »

Thanks Celeste!

I had originally submitted 3 articles but after reading some of the posts here I opted to remove two of them. I have to admit I did not read the terms of service closely and I did not realize you could be banned after three rejections.

I had a couple of questions after spending some time on these boards that maybe you could help me with. The first is, I have noticed some people refereing to two or three rejections for the same article, is it possible to be rejected more than three times without being banned? The second is, I chose to replace the uploaded file for the article I let stand after rereading it for clairty and errors, does this mean it will go to the back of the acceptance cue? Maybe Ed could chime in if he is around.

I am just trying to learn as much as I can in my downtime in order to make this site work for me.

Any advice?
Celeste Stewart

Post by Celeste Stewart »

The three rejection rule is somewhat flexible. It's CC's version of "We reserve the right to refuse service." LIttle mistakes and first-time newbie mistakes like uploading a .docx document instead of .doc are less serious. While these little missakes skill lead to rejections, they are less likely to count, especially if the article is well written and successfully resubmitted to take care of the error and other submissions show that you're a good fit for the site. It's the writers who are unable to find and correct their mistakes, lack basic English comp skills, or submit poorly written or plagiarized articles that get an immediate "you're out" - sometimes before the third rejection notice.

So, take the three strikes rule seriously and make sure your submissions are publication ready. As you get more articles approved, a rejection notice here and there may still happen, but if you have a solid record and the mistakes are minor and not a continuous problem that's never corrected, account suspension is less likely.

I don't believe that reuploading a submission sends the article to the back of the line. I think your spot remains wherever it is.
Lysis

Post by Lysis »

If it makes anyone feel better, I get a rejection about 1/10 articles. It's usually because I did some dumb mistake like (my last one for example) a tense shift error. Whoops!

I've written long articles on topics I know really well, but I also find that I do better with short 300-400 word articles. I get distracted easily, so I think the shorter articles are better for my attention span. :D I started the article for the public request on websites, but I'm at 400 words and my mind is already tired and I feel like I'm just writing words on a page. This is where I start to make mistakes, I think. So, I quit writing and will go back to it. Now that I'm used to the process, I don't feel rushed anymore. If the buyer purchases the article, great! If not, I know another buyer will grab it.

That's just my experience if it helps anyone. I think CC realizes that you're going to make mistakes sometimes. Just take it in stride, admit you made a mistake, fix it and move on. I don't understand why people argue with the editor.
Debbi

Post by Debbi »

I had a rejection recently because I forgot to include an introduction to my quiz article. I even knew it right after I submitted it but forgot to delete and resubmit until I got that rejection. At least it doesn't say "Refjected" anymore!

I find it hard to say anything substantive in 400 words. My articles are more in the 600-800 range. Maybe I'm just too wordy, but especially when I'm writing a how-to kind of article I always think of one more warning or tip or something that would be useful to the reader. Then I can't just say "Remember to make your dog wait at the door until after you go through", I have to give an example or something. *Sigh*