What to include in the text file upload

Not an author yet? Have questions? Post here!

Moderators: Celeste Stewart, Ed, Constant

Sharion

What to include in the text file upload

Post by Sharion »

I didn't see this in any of the docs. I've submitted one article so far and the text file simply had the name of the article and the article. As all the other info is put into the web form, I left the article pristine.

But I'm wondering, should I have included my name, word count or any other info in the file I uploaded? I've got another ready to upload (inspired by Celeste :-) and want to make sure I don't trip over my newbie toes.
4rumid

Re: What to include in the text file upload

Post by 4rumid »

What you did is right. If you'd like your name published with the article, you can add that too. But remember that if you sell full rights, the buyer can remove or change your byline (or anything else he/she wants to remove or change).

Good luck!
Sharion

Post by Sharion »

Thank you! I look forward to the day where all of your names are familiar old friends.

Sharion
jadedragon

Post by jadedragon »

I had the same question - so I improvised and each has been accepted so far. I figure the buyer needs my name when they publish (especially under Usage and Unique and hopefully for Full Rights). The word count is just plain helpful. No buyer will copy and paste the word count anyway.

I put:

Article Title
By Cameron Rogers
XXX Words

Article Body

Hope that helps - and if I'm wrong someone will correct me.
Celeste Stewart

Post by Celeste Stewart »

That's what you do. Otherwise, if a customer buys the article for usage, he doesn't necessarily have your byline available. Make it as easy as you can for customers to get your article details right :)

Also, it's useful to copy your short summary and keywords into the document's "Properties." That way, if the article is rejected, you'll have the text readily available when it comes time to resubmit.
jadedragon

Post by jadedragon »

I saw the helpful idea of keeping the short summary in the document properties but can't make it work. There is sure a lot of useful info under Properties though. I'm going to figure out how to use that info.
Celeste Stewart

Post by Celeste Stewart »

You should be able to copy and paste it in the "Comments" section of the Properties. At least, that's what I do in Word 2007 (when I remember to do it).
jak

Post by jak »

I always keep 2 copies of my articles on my hard drive, one in a folder called articles, and one called drafts. The one in the drafts folder includes the short summary and keywords.
Sharion

Post by Sharion »

I keep two file as well: the article itself, and a file with the word count, keywords, summary and excerpt.