Article Rejection

Area for content rejection questions.

Moderators: Celeste Stewart, Ed, Constant

Volante

Article Rejection

Post by Volante »

My article, 'Music over Mind and Matter' got rejected for semicolon misuse and usage of too many exclamation marks.
While i realize my error with regards to the semicolon, i do not understand why my article consists of too many exclamation marks.
The customer requested for a feel good article. In my opinion, the usage of exclamation marks in my article is a manifestation of the enthusiasm i hope to convey with regards to the issue. I believe that this will give a feel-good factor to teenage girls (target audience) rather than being too serious in terms of tone. In light of Ed's pointers, i have just cut down on the exclamation marks, reducing them to just 4 times in the entire article(808 words). Is this too many still? Please help me on the proper course of action i should take for this. Thanks :)
HayleyWriter

Re: Article Rejection

Post by HayleyWriter »

I can't speak for Ed, but I find I rarely need to use an exclamation mark in article writing at all. Let the tone of your writing exude excitement or emphasis, without resorting to using an exclamation mark. Focus on making your tone suitable for the audience. Plain English writing emphasises the readability of the article, rather than the use of excessive and formal punctuation marks.

If you'd like me to have a look at your article and see if I can make some suggestions on the tone, please send me an email through the CC system.

I hope this helps,

Hayley
Ed

Post by Ed »

If there were only four exclamation points, maybe this note in your review email was unwarrented, but it did seem like there were too many. Exclamation points are very strong punctuation marks that really jump out, especially when they occur close together in a section of text. I would limit exclamation point use to two total in any length of writing.
Restraint should be exercised when using the exclamation punctuation mark in writing, for when it is used liberally it will lose its impact. http://www.libraryonline.com/default.asp?pID=36
There is a lot of discussion about exclamation point abuse online, some of which is amusing, if you're interested. If not, it's not a big deal.

Thanks,
Ed
Volante

Post by Volante »

Thank you both for replying! I think you've misunderstood me, Ed. I've just edited my article to 4 exclamation marks. There were more in the one i submitted. Yes I'll resend the re-worked version asap (the deadline for this piece is the 30th of this month. i hope everything will be done by then!)
To hayley : Thanks for you offer :) I'll try submitting my 2nd try first. If it fails again then could you kindly help me proof read it! I'm afraid i don't make the deadline if i send it to you now. will just have to take the risk!
jadedragon

Post by jadedragon »

I'm SO excited to be selling articles at CC! They have a great staff and lots of great customers! Yes, getting rejected is frustrating! But I CAN handle it because it makes me a STRONGER writer. Is that not great?! CC ROcks!!! Comments welcome! I really need some help with excessive punctuation!

On a more serious note Volante please take a humble suggestion from an imperfect writer. I have not seen your article of course, but I can see 4 exclamation points in your 101 word post above mine. Exclamation points seem to be your drug of choice in writing. I suggest going cold turkey with zero exclamation points in your writing for six months. Find ways to express and emphasize without the exclamation point and your writing will really become more professional and marketable.
HayleyWriter

Post by HayleyWriter »

I definitely agree with jadedragon - CC is a wonderful place to write and has such a terrific community of writers. One of the things I love about being part of the community of writers is the lessons I learn along the way. I find I am learning to be more professional in my approach to writing and I also value my work more because I can see that customers value it too.

That said, Jadedragon has made a good suggestion. Many aspiring writers overuse exclaimation marks instead of letting the words add the emphasis. If you have this problem, and Volante you are not alone, try reviewing every single punctuation mark you use. Do you really need that exclaimation mark? Can you make your words strong enough to stand alone with a simple fullstop while still expressing your excitement? I found that I have to do the same with commas. I have to check that every comma I do use is in the right place and is not an excessive use of the comma. I actually proofread once for commas, my bane, and again for everything else. If you have a problem with a particular punctuation mark, such as exclaimation marks, commas, or semi colons, try highlighting each one in your article. Then review the rules and decide if you really need that punctuation mark. It's a good way to reinforce the rules in your head until it becomes natural in your writing.

Volante, good luck with your article.

Kind regards,

Hayley
Volante

Post by Volante »

Ah that is valuable advice indeed. Thank you both for them and for the well-wishes. I'll try doing that from now on :) [no exclamation marks]