Is it best to write single articles or a few themed ones?

Not an author yet? Have questions? Post here!

Moderators: Celeste Stewart, Ed, Constant

jennifer

Is it best to write single articles or a few themed ones?

Post by jennifer »

Hi

I'm new here and I've read some of the posts on the forum. So far I've written 3 articles, 2 for public requests but haven't made a sale yet :cry:

I was wondering if it's best to write a single article on a topic or to write 3-5 articles on the same topic, eg 1 gardening article or 3-5 gardening articles.

Which way do you think would be the best way to start making sales?
Celeste Stewart

Re: Is it best to write single articles or a few themed ones?

Post by Celeste Stewart »

Hi,
I'd say that it depends on how much you enjoy writing about gardening :) I know some writers who take a single topic and explore various angles through multiple articles. If that appeals to you, it's a neat strategy. You might sell all of the articles right away to a single customer in one shot or you might sell the articles to several different customers over time. It really comes down to whether you're interested in writing different articles on the topic or not. If the topic captures your imagination, then it will show in your final articles. If the topic bores you, it doesn't matter how many articles you write about it because the boredom will likely show as well. Focus on topics that interest you and you'll be fine whether you write one at a time or a series of related articles.
jadedragon

Post by jadedragon »

I tried the multiple angle approach on my first few articles here. I picked a public request and researched it. By time I was done researching I had info for 5 or 6 short articles. I don't think that buyer ever even bought, and certainly not from me, but those articles were how I learned the review process. Now I've got those articles sitting in my inventory to sell someday - almost like money in the bank.

Oddly, I decided to write a single random article on a topic I'd researched for my personal knowledge. After the research I'd put it up on a how to site, but as I was starting on CC I figured I could really make it a better article from my work using normal paragraph format. One quick but comprehensive rewrite later I submitted it here. The darn thing sold for usage rights the next day! It's up on an e-commerce site now with my name attached. :D

I've also noticed from the views on another site where I've got about 50 articles that various topics are in demand and others are not. I've been surprised at what pull viewers. I'd guess the same holds true here. Looking at the sales here confirms it. I can't imagine what buyers intend to use some of the articles for, but hey, everyone has their niche.

So the moral of the story, from my limited experience, is write lots and see what sells. If you can save time by breaking a topic into several tightly focused articles, all the better.
Lysis

Post by Lysis »

I write about whatever I know and I'm interested in. I've never done a themed group of articles, but I have an idea for some and plan to put it to the test. I like to keep articles short ..like 300-500 words. It's hard though to keep it down to that count, especially if you know the topic well.

I also keep notepad open at all times. Whenever I have an idea, I write it down in notepad if I don't have the time or don't feel like writing on the subject. I've accumulated about 200 topics in my notepad, and it's kinda neat. If I'm staring at my screen wondering what to write, I look at notepad and go through my topics to find something. It's a pretty good way to help get you out of writer's block.
Elizabeth Ann West

Post by Elizabeth Ann West »

I often do themed articles, trying to make the most out of my research. Usually though, I only write 2-3. But I find typically one of them sells with in 30 days, and the other eventually down the road. C-C is definitely NOT an instant income maker. You really need a healthy portfolio to start seeing consistent sales. It's nice when you have a few masterpieces sell (I like to have one or two "premium" articles by my definition that are for sale for $100+) but my most successful months were mainly created by sales of a number of affordably priced pieces.