Word Count

Not an author yet? Have questions? Post here!

Moderators: Celeste Stewart, Ed, Constant

lgonzalez12811

Word Count

Post by lgonzalez12811 »

If a client requests a word count of 500 words and doesn't specify further is that set in stone? I wrote an article that requested 500 words but there was so much information I ended with 800. I sent a message to the client to see if he would mind an article that long but they never replied. I am condensing the article now but just wanted to know for future reference. I understand when they ask for 500-600 words you have some room to play. Should I submit the 800 as is?
eek

Re: Word Count

Post by eek »

I would just look for extraneous words to cut, or ways to condense, as you mentioned, but not so much that info is lost. If the customer requested a lot of information within 500 words it's hard to know which is more important.
Emma
Debbi

Post by Debbi »

Speaking of word count, I just finished Stephen King's "On Writing" (thank you whoever posted about that book, so good!) and he said his formula for revision is to cut the first draft down 10% in the second draft. That's good advice for me since I get somewhat wordy. I fall in love with the sound of the piece and add an abundance of alliteration or I want to address every possible point a reader might be curious about. A mandated 10% cut is a good way to tighten up the piece.
eek

Post by eek »

I loved that book too, Debbi. His sample manuscript, where he showed his mark-throughs and corrections, was really helpful. I need to read it again.

It's really hard to do, but I try to follow the advice of cutting whatever I think is particularly cute. Several people have said that - Mark Twain comes to mind. It's hard to draw a line between hooking the reader and keeping a line or paragraph just because I thought I said it in a very fine way, indeed. Humor is somewhat subjective, and Internet writing is heavier on information (unless it's a blog). I've read articles where the author was trying to be funny, but it didn't work for me. It's a little like someone laughing at their own joke at a party, and they just keep laughing even though the crowd is quiet. Maybe I'm all wrong about it, but I think a little bit of humor goes a looooooong way. (Humor articles excepted, naturally.) I'm still guilty of it sometimes, but I hope I've grown in that respect.
lgonzalez12811

Post by lgonzalez12811 »

Thank you all for this wonderful information. I'm learning so much.