Newbie with a question

New writer to CC, introduce yourself here!

Moderators: Celeste Stewart, Ed, Constant

copypro1

Newbie with a question

Post by copypro1 »

Hi, I'm Roger Haley, arthur of two books, a newspaper columnist, and new writer for CC. I've reviewed the forums and can't find an answer to this, so maybe you can help me. If a public request gives a word count of...say 1600, but the only way to get that count seems to be with meaningless filler, should you go ahead and submit your article, even if it's only 1200 WC? Thanks for any help you can give me.
CRDonovan

Re: Newbie with a question

Post by CRDonovan »

Hi Roger. Welcome to CC. Yes I'd go ahead and submit. Word counts are often meant as a general guideline, and while it's a good idea to shoot for fulfilling the request as stated, I don't think it's unusual to be somewhat over or under the specified length. I might tinker with my price if I offer a shorter piece than requested - if the customer asks for 1600 words for $75, I might consider offering 1200 words for, say, $60.
ecdoran

Post by ecdoran »

I've noticed with a lot of the requests that the word counts are often off, I guess you could say.

Please write a detailed analysis of the Standard American Diet. It must include these fifteen specific points, examples, diagrams, a brief history of america, food, and the food pyramid. Please cite relevant commentary on the FDA and legislature. Recommended word count: 200-250.

Okay, I jest but you get the point. I typically just write the article and see how many words I end up with. If they requested a shorter article, then I make it more concise and vice versa. If I end up with an article that is a few hundred words off, but it's good, then I submit it regardless. Oftentimes, the articles they buy are the prices they want (or cheaper), but not necessarily the exact word counts.
I think most customers just pick a word count that sounds good. It's an abstract thing if you aren't all that used to writing. 250 sounds like a short article, and that's what they want -- a short article. Never mind the fact that 450 words is a short-ish article, too, but nearly twice the word count. I write enough to say what I need to say and try to make it in the general ball park of what they are looking for :)

Does that make sense to anyone but me?
jadedragon

Post by jadedragon »

Welcome Rogers. Unlike a newspaper column that has a set space to fill most webpages are somewhat flexible. If you have a good article, submit it and price accordingly. It may get picked up by the requester, and if not it goes in the pool for others to buy. The others make great points too - just adding my two cents.