Question on first-person POV

Area for content rejection questions.

Moderators: Celeste Stewart, Ed, Constant

PatrickMcdonnough

Question on first-person POV

Post by PatrickMcdonnough »

I recently submitted my first article -- it was rejected the first time for a glaring grammatical error. I subsequently re-reviewed the article multiple times and it was just rejected again, but this time for first-person POV infraction. I could only find one place where there was the possibility of being offensive in this manner and would like this forums opinion on it.

Excerpt:
"See what the locals are wearing and try to emulate their style. Stop by a local shop to pick up a shirt or a pair of trousers. We’ve all seen the stereotypical tourist guy with his Hawaiian shirt, fanny pack, and big straw hat. Instead, go for something simple..."

I'll also mention that I thought this use was OK since I wasn't saying "we" in the sense of you and I, but everyone -- it was my understanding that this was not strictly considered first-person POV?

Thanks for the help!

- Patrick
Ed

Re: Question on first-person POV

Post by Ed »

The problem was not with the collective "we." Any instance of reference to the author, including "believe me," "my article," or similar phrases can result in your article being rejected.

Thank you,
Ed
PatrickMcdonnough

Re: Question on first-person POV

Post by PatrickMcdonnough »

Well, turns out that Ed was right again!

I had one instance of the word "me" hidden away in my intro.

Thanks!