switching to a Mac

Not an author yet? Have questions? Post here!

Moderators: Celeste Stewart, Ed, Constant

CRDonovan

switching to a Mac

Post by CRDonovan »

As my son would say, this probably isn't rocket science, but my computer is hanging on by its fingernails, and I'm going to have to get a new one. I've had it with windows and microsoft so I'm going for a Mac. I'm a little concerned about file types for uploading articles. Do any Mac users care to share what word processing programs they use? I know it's possible to buy Microsoft word that'll operate on the Mac OS, and as a last resort I would do that. Any suggestions? Tips? Thanks in advance.
Elizabeth Ann West

Re: switching to a Mac

Post by Elizabeth Ann West »

I have a Mac and use OpenOffice.org. I still save all of my files as .doc and the new version that just came out let's me save as .docx too if I so choose. It's completely free, and has all of the functionality of MS Word. You also get spreadsheets, presentations, and database capability. You can save as all the Microsoft formats.

Again, free, why buy Word for the Mac?
CRDonovan

Post by CRDonovan »

Cool. Thanks.
Evelyn

Post by Evelyn »

Yep. Use OpenOffice. It's like the "old" version of MS Office, before Microsoft went and ruined the latest version with all those stupid buttons and screwed up menus. I can't even use the new MS Office.
CRDonovan

Post by CRDonovan »

Thanks for the tip. I agree about microsoft. There's the annoying bells and whistles that are more of a hindrance than anything else, and then there's the malware infestations. Windows has compounded the problem by deciding it is too dangerous for any of my programs to be accessed, so it has shut me down. I have to fight windows to get into my own programs. Of course, if I send the microsoft virus package some money, they'll magically fix it all for me. Not one more dime to microsoft, evah.
yashuasgirl

Post by yashuasgirl »

C.R. Donovan wrote:Thanks for the tip. I agree about microsoft. There's the annoying bells and whistles that are more of a hindrance than anything else, and then there's the malware infestations. Windows has compounded the problem by deciding it is too dangerous for any of my programs to be accessed, so it has shut me down. I have to fight windows to get into my own programs. Of course, if I send the microsoft virus package some money, they'll magically fix it all for me. Not one more dime to microsoft, evah.
Hi there, C.R>Donovan, I have made the switch to a MAC, and I will never ever go back to Microsoft! I have been using a windows for Mac program, and I am told that the spaces before and after my paragraphs are too large. I don't see it. When I print out the document it looks okay. I am wondering if I should try a different word processor than the one I am using. I have not fully learned how to use my Mac yet but I so love how it never crashes or has registry errors. Good luck with your new Mac I know you will love it!
Elizabeth Ann West

Post by Elizabeth Ann West »

Mac and Linux are close cousins, both run on Unix. OpenOffice.org is available for Windows, Mac, and Linux. I miss my Linux computer, but hubby surprised me with $1,000 Mac for Christmas.
CRDonovan

Post by CRDonovan »

Thanks for input everyone. Next time I check in here I'll be using a new system!