Is there a MAXIMUM length?

Not an author yet? Have questions? Post here!

Moderators: Celeste Stewart, Ed, Constant

bhjmom

Is there a MAXIMUM length?

Post by bhjmom »

If I were to write a very long article or short report or even an ebook, can that be marketed on CC as well?
Evelyn

Re: Is there a MAXIMUM length?

Post by Evelyn »

Howdy! I asked Ed that direct question a few weeks ago and he said, no, ebooks were probably not appropriate for this content site. Bummer that.

Long articles (1200-2000 words) do sell but not like hotcakes. If you can write it so the buyer could cut it into pieces if they wanted to it would probably go better, and if it were on a hot topic that would be even more likely to sell. Write longer stuff if the urge strikes you--put it up for sale and move on to the next piece. Sometimes you can write something longer and cut it up yourself into several articles.

If you're really itching to write longer stuff browse through Elance.com. There are always people looking for ebooks there on a range of subjects, but you have to bid on the project and wait for the buyer to decide whose bid wins. However, a lot of times you can get ongoing work if you're patient and keep bidding.

I'm interested in writing ebooks too but haven't found the right venue. Article marketing is such a big thing... 250-1000 words... people who want ebooks seek out authors for them or hire someone they know.

Find a niche and write shorter pieces but throw in the longer ones sometimes too. Most of the prolific authors on C-C sell 65-80 percent of their work, sometimes right away sometimes months later. Write what you want and know it will eventually sell if you keep writing and posting here.

Hope that answers the question!
Elizabeth Ann West

Re: Is there a MAXIMUM length?

Post by Elizabeth Ann West »

In my experience, longer articles sell when it makes sense to have it as a longer article. For example, an article on just foreclosures in general could be segmented, but you would likely make more money by writing four 500 word-pieces about judicial foreclosure, non-judicial foreclosure, foreclosure auctions, and maybe one on a homeowner's rights during a foreclosure. As one long article, that wouldn't serve the audience very well, and buyers would probably not be willing to pay the price for one piece that you would get for the four.

Now, if the focused subject matter is complex, a longer article might work. For example, an article on a specific college savings plan might need to be 1,000+ words. But absolutely segment it with headings so a buyer could add in advertising and so the reader has a road map for the journey they are taking with you. Major subject headings might be: The Maximum Contribution Amount, Where Can Your Child Use It, How Will It Save Me on Taxes, What If My Child Doesn't Go To College. If each section is 100-150 words, plus an introduction and a conclusion, that's a 1,000 word article easy, and it targets a focused audience, one interested in that specific college savings program.