Use It - Or Lose It...

A place where authors can exchange ideas or thoughts. Talk about what categories are hot and which ones are not.

Moderators: Celeste Stewart, Ed

DennisMartz

Use It - Or Lose It...

Post by DennisMartz »

I'd like to offer a suggestion to writers. If it's at all possible, try to write something EVERY day. Unfortunately, my (seasonal) job has kept me from submitting anything for the past month or two (we're in the busiest part of the season) and now that I've finally taken the time to start writing articles again - I seem to have lost something...

I'm getting rejection after rejection on the re-submissions and I'm sure I'm close to getting banned (to the point where I'm afraid to submit anything) Ed is being more than fair and I know he's trying to help, but I seem to keep screwing up. I SERIOUSLY regret not submitting AT LEAST one article a week for the past two months - I never dreamed I could go backwards.

I guess it's true what they say, "Use it or lose it..."

I just hope I can "get it back" before it's too late.

So... If for some reason you find you have to take a "sabbatical" - make sure you don't let your writing grind to a halt!

KEEP WRITING!!!

Dennis
Henri

Re: Use It - Or Lose It...

Post by Henri »

I am new, so I have a question about getting banned, because obviously this is something that not only plagues me, but many others as well.

If you've gotten 3-10 articles accepted, what are the chances of someone getting banned if they write well but screw up 2-3 times in a row? Of course, if someone becomes reckless and doesn't continue their streak, they deserve a warning, but it feels to me like this fear of getting banned is a bit overwhelming for many newbies which may explain why so many people are afraid of writing.

I know this isn't set in stone, but I'd like to know what the limits are. I try to write my best, but I am still human and make mistakes, which lead to rejections. Can someone kill this fear once and for all, please? :mrgreen:
jak

Post by jak »

If you have proved yourself, and have had articles accepted here, you'll only be banned if you flagrantly flout the rules. We all have the ocassional rejection that keeps us on our toes. Once you've had your first articles accepted, you can stop worrying about it. Just make sure that what you submit has gone through the proof reading wringer a few times, and you know you've done your best.
Henri

Post by Henri »

Awesome, Jak! Thank you.

My process is to write my articles Day 1, sleep on it and then proof-read 2-3 times Day 2 and submit later that day.
Nessiee

Post by Nessiee »

I also think it's important to write often so that you don't lose the skills you currently have. It's so easy to fall out of the writing habit, but when you decide to start writing again, it's a lot harder and more time consuming than before.

The expression, "It's like riding a bike - once you've learned it, you'll never forget it" comes to mind. After years of not riding my bike, I certainly remembered how to do it, but my muscles were out of shape, so it was a lot harder to get from point A to point B. I think the same holds true for writing. It's not like you forget how to write, but rather that your writing skills become rusty. You'll need to work harder to shake off that rust buildup before you can produce a polished piece of work.
---

In response to Henri, I think they only bring out the banhammer when they know your writing isn't close to the website's standards. The "three rejections and you're out" rule was made for people that clearly don't have a handle on the English language and for people not willing to correct their mistakes.

For everyone else, if you get a rejection, take the advice seriously. Be sure to learn why your article were rejected (it is stated in the rejection email), so that the problem is addressed and not repeated in the future. So long as you aren't constantly submitting articles with the same problems and are willing to learn from your mistakes, you should be okay. That said, Ed cannot possibly read the same article countless times until it's up to standards. So, if and when you do get a rejection (because we all do get rejections on occasion), be sure that you go over that article with a fine tooth comb to weed out any other possible problem areas before you resubmit.

What I tend to do is write an article and proof it while I'm writing, then wait until the next day to continue proof reading it so I can view it with fresh eyes. If I found errors, I proof read the article again until I think it's perfect (or I will go cross-eyed from looking at it), then let it sit another day (or reopen it a few hours later again that day). On the day that I open it up and go, "Wow! I didn't find anything to change!" I submit it to the site. Yes, my process has a long turn around time, but I've found that it works for me.

I think that is the key... finding what works best to allow each writer to submit their best writing.
jadedragon

Post by jadedragon »

Some great advice here. Remember that the site wants writers to produce articles that will sell. No writers=no articles=no money. However the site does not want to waste time reviewing crap. So there is a balancing act. Some writers get axed on the first submission, others get more than 3 rejections over time. Either you can write or you can't. If you can write and self edit you will do well. If not, don't waste your or Ed's time.
Last edited by jadedragon on Sat Mar 27, 2010 1:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Henri

Post by Henri »

Excellent and phenomenal advice. It certainly puts my fears to a rest, at least for now :D
Lisa-Anne Sanderson

Post by Lisa-Anne Sanderson »

Hi Dennis,

I found your post very interesting. I've been away for a while too and I think that it can be hard to get back
into the 'swing of things' especially if you have jetlag! I don't know about writing something every day, however...
I do try to do it if I can but I think that a few days every week might be enough.

Ed's advice to always print your articles and go over them with a fine-toothed comb has worked well for me most of
the time. I have been missing my printer because it wasn't compatible with Windows 7 but I've solved that problem!

I made a careless mistake soon after I came back and I've re-submitted the article so I hope that it's accepted this time.

Regards,
Lisa
Sharion

Post by Sharion »

I'm about to test this myself. My last submission was over a month ago. For the next few months it will be sporadic as most of my writing time has been given over to medical treatments. Hopefully my skills won't go belly up in the meantime. I pray to Ed that I've still got it!
CRDonovan

Post by CRDonovan »

[quote]My last submission was over a month ago. For the next few months it will be sporadic as most of my writing time has been given over to medical treatments[/quote]

Not to worry. The site will be here when you get back. Meantime, just get better.
Lisa-Anne Sanderson

Post by Lisa-Anne Sanderson »

I don't agree with what you said, JadeDragon. Sometimes it's difficult to spot mistakes.

It is a good idea to go over rejected articles with a fine-tooth comb. I have been trying to do this, however, and I have received rejections ever since I came back from OS. I haven't been writing every day so perhaps that is the trouble.

Receiving constant rejections certainly does make you afraid to keep submitting! I read that someone had had his articles accepted by national magazines but he had been rejected here. That made me feel better.
jadedragon

Post by jadedragon »

Maybe my post came across a little harsh. It was meant to be encouraging! Constant Content knows they need writers so they are only going to ban the people that just can't produce properly written articles. If you get a few accepted there really is no reason to fear getting three strikes.

I know it is hard to spot errors. I get more than my fair share of rejections, mostly for stupid little errors that slip by my careful proofing. I tend to batch my articles too - and I've had three rejections in one day - but I'm not worried about being banned here and if you can write well, neither should you be worried.