Article rejected for spelling errors or typos...

Area for content rejection questions.

Moderators: Celeste Stewart, Ed, Constant

kdrew

Article rejected for spelling errors or typos...

Post by kdrew »

Hello,

I am relatively new here and have a question. I have had several articles approved, but I just got one rejected for spelling errors or typos. I have run spell check again, and the only words that it picks up are the words "internet" and "firewall". I had one article sell for full rights about wireless internet where I did not capitalize the word "internet" so I'm thinking that may not be it. I have also re-read the article several times and cannot seem to find any typos. So, I'm guessing that the problem was with the word "firewall". Everything I have found on the internet seems so have firewall in lowercase unless it is the first word in a sentence, so I'm just not quite sure what to do next. I really want so solve this problem so that I can resubmit the article without getting another strike. Thanks for your advice!
Ed

Re: Article rejected for spelling errors or typos...

Post by Ed »

The spelling errors/typos were not simply words underlined by an outdated spell checker. These words do not result in rejections because articles are reviewed by human eyes. These were actual misspellings of words the spell checker would have otherwise recognized.

Thanks,
Ed
kdrew

Post by kdrew »

okay, thank you. I'm still not sure what words they are. Sounds like I've got some figuring out and learning to do. Thanks for the quick response.
jadedragon

Post by jadedragon »

If spell check is not finding errors, look for places you used completely the wrong word. "Ease" instead of "erase" or "the" instead of "they". Ed considers these errors to be misspellings and our eyes just gloss over them because they are real words that look like the correct word. Good luck.
Debbi

Post by Debbi »

Read the article out loud to check for incorrect words or have someone else read it to you.
Ed

Post by Ed »

These were actual misspellings/typing errors and were located towards the end of the document.
kdrew

Post by kdrew »

Thank you Jadedragon, Debbi, and Ed for the help! I have carefully re-read it several times out loud, and taken a break and tried to come back again and I STILL cannot find anything. As embarrassing as this is, maybe I am just really missing something or have something to learn. There's no one around here who can proofread it for me, so I was wondering if it is against the rules if I post it here and maybe someone could read it with fresh eyes. Is that allowed? Thank you.
Debbi

Post by Debbi »

No, don't post your article in the forums.

You can email me your text through the CC email and I'll see if I can find the errors. My author name is DM Gutierrez.
Ed

Post by Ed »

Maybe you submitted the wrong file? A draft copy? If the errors appear upon resubmission, I can point them out for you. However, I think you would have found them by now if we were looking at the same document. Seems to me this was a case of trasnposde lteters.
Debbi

Post by Debbi »

I found three errors. Two were the misuse of "set up" and "setup" and the other was the use of "weary" instead of "wary". Kdrew, I sent you a reply email with more detail. :)
Ed

Post by Ed »

Thanks, Debbi. You win today's Awesome Award.
Debbi

Post by Debbi »

Woohoo! :lol:
kdrew

Post by kdrew »

Yay! I am so encouraged! I am going to fix those errors, and take a thorough look at the website you suggested to get a better understanding about WHY I made those errors. I don't want to make them again. I know I'm not perfect, but I really do think CC is a great site and I want to improve my skills so that I can be a great writer here. So, a HUGE thank you for the pointers, and I must get to work! :)
Debbi

Post by Debbi »

You're welcome. Those were small errors easy to overlook when it's your own piece. I thought the article was a good one, very clear and concise with good information. Good luck with it :)