Regarding Licences & Purchasing

Not an author yet? Have questions? Post here!

Moderators: Celeste Stewart, Ed, Constant

WordCraft

Regarding Licences & Purchasing

Post by WordCraft »

Hi, I'm new here. I have a question about the licences (licenses if you're from the US ;)). I see many authors who have prices listed for all 3 licences. As soon as you allow someone to purchase the Usage licence then this must mean the other two become void/greyed-out, yes?

I guess I'll get used to it but at the moment I do not have any experience of how it all works.

EDIT: Oh, I forgot to ask: the check box at the end of the submission form allows customers to make offers - why would you NOT tick this?
jadedragon

Re: Regarding Licences & Purchasing

Post by jadedragon »

Correct. Offer all three license options (unless you already used/licensed the article somewhere - or plan to). If someone buys full or unique rights the article disappears from available content. If someone buys usage only the full and unique options automatically become unavailable.

Should you allow best offer? Tough to say. It invites silly offers. It also allows reasonable offers to meet a budget. A lot of buyers can't be bothered with the hassle of making an offer and maybe getting a rejection. To each his/her own.
WordCraft

Post by WordCraft »

Thanks jade,

I did not realize it meant that - I thought it was some way of not allowing anyone to buy an article (perhaps for private or commissioned work)...perhaps that option should be reworded?

Silly question but: do I have to give permission for a sale or is it automatic? I mean, if I get 3 responses for usage and 1 for Unique then I'm going to want to choose the Usage...
jak

Post by jak »

Sales at the prices you specify are automatic. When you submit you are giving CC the authority to sell your work at those prices for the relevant licences. I imagine it's done on a first come, first served, basis.

Only if someone makes an offer below your specified price will you get the option to accept or reject the sale. Even if you accept, it doesn't mean the sale will definitely go through. Sometimes customers find what they want elswhere while they are waiting for your response.